lighting for corals

findgnemo

how much is the average time to keep lights on when you have corals? would 14 hours be too much too less? i was thinking of doing. 7 am - 8 pm daylights 12pm - 8 pm atinics and moonlights if i choose after 8pm

really depends on what type of lighting you're using. i run my mh on for 6 hours per day now that the temperature outside is so hot. 8 hours in the winter.

I dropped my down to 6 hours a day because of the cost of electricity in the summer. In the winter they go back to 10 hours a day.

is it really required to have that many hours? i only ask because i dno't want the electric bill to SKY ROCKET unless they really need that much light. i plan on doing soft corals only. shrooms, leathers

I am trying promote my cycle on a new tank, so I tend to run my lights as so:

Lunar LEDs all night.
8am turn on actinics, turn off lunars.
11am turn on days
8pm turn off days
10pm turn off actinics, turn on lunars.

I am trying to keep my algea down right now, so don't run my days as long as the times above show right now due to I am just comming out of my algea bloom cycle.

I run a pretty long photoperiod as I work from home and get bored staring at a dark tank. However, my electric bill may force me to shorten it. My photoperiod is as follows:

8:00am - Actinic on
9:00am - 96W PC (10,000) on - this does very little but allows you to view a little better.
11:00am - 250W MH on(14,000K)
12:00pm - 400W MH on(14,000K)
1:00pm - 400W MH on(14,000K)

8:00pm - 400W MH off
9:00pm - 400W MH off
10:00pm - 250W MH & PC 10,000K off
10:30pm - actinic off
Lunar LED's on all night

Back