Lighting question

Jrid1997

I was wondering if I could grow low light corals with one galaxyhydro 165 watt light hung in the middle of my tank until after Christmas then I will buy a second one?

pisanoal

Premium Member
The galaxy hydro is a plant grow light, which uses lots of red. Coral likes light in the blue spectrum I think the hydros will be way too red for your taste and for your coral's. You want something like the mars aqua. And for a recommendation on how many you will need, we would need more details like tank dimensions.

Jrid1997

The galaxy hydro is a plant grow light, which uses lots of red. Coral likes light in the blue spectrum I think the hydros will be way too red for your taste and for your coral's. You want something like the mars aqua. And for a recommendation on how many you will need, we would need more details like tank dimensions.

Something like 48"x18"x21"

mcgyvr

First.. galaxy hydro makes multiple LED fixtures.. some targeted towards plant growth.. some towards corals..

But you can grow anything with just one LED light like that.. but it just means you may need to place your coral appropriately.. You could keep SPS if you wanted..
You have plenty of light.. Its just mainly over 1/2 of the tank.. Get one more and be able to grow anything in the whole tank.. plain and simple..