Lighting Questions.

EagleTalonTim

Hello all! This is my first post and probably not my last :) I am wondering about my lighting for my saltwater tank. I have a 75 gallon tank that has been running for about 4 months now and I have just started adding fish about a week ago. I bought one of those 48" CoralLife Aqualight High Output lights from Petco which was on sale for $100. I just could not pass it up since I new I needed a light for my tank. I have had this light on my tank for about 3 months. It came with 2 different bulbs that were already installed in it. One is a 10,000k lamp which says the "Daylight" bulb, and the other is an "Actinic" bulb which says a dawn/dusk bulb. The question I have is why do both run at the same time and why can I not select which one is on at what time? I was thinking of having the blue one come on at 8am, the white come on around 12 and turn off at 4 or 5pm, then the blue turn off at 8pm. Is this possible or even worth doing or could this cause problems?

The daylight bulb is the "white" light that contains most of the usaeble wavelengths. The actinic bulb is mostly for aesthetics - some corals "fluoresce" under actinic lights. Honestly, most people use actincs for dawn/dusk effects and to give the reef that "deep water" look. If you plan to keep photosynthetic corals, your current lighting will be terribly inadequate. You would need at least 3 or 4 daylight bulbs on a 75 gallon tank, with individual reflectors. If you willl just keep fish, your lights are fine.

So I should get another one of those light setups like I have and put 2 10,000k bulbs in it? How long during the day should I have the daylight bulbs running? And, can I have the actinic lights running from 8am to 8 or 10pm?

Back