lighting questions

mr_salty

Im gathering info for my build, i am going with a 40g main tank and a 20g sump. i think going with the reef octopus nwb 110 for my skimmer, not sure on return pump yet. My question is, what kimd of light i should be looking for, i cant spend the money they want for leds. So im looking at ho t5s or metal halids. I want to be able to keep corals but the heat from metal halide im not sure about, and i dont want to have to have a chiller.i do like the halide for the light par. Oh what a dilemma, your thoughts are appreciated.

LED do not have to be expensive, especially for a 40g. You can get a very capable but no frills unit for less than the high end T5s. Checkout the evergrow units in the lighting forum.

I'll be spending less than $200 for LEDs. But it all depends on what you want and need.

If you don't want a chiller than MH is out. You might be able to get by with t5s and no chiller but you might need fans. I needed a chiller when I had T5s on my 90 gallon. I would definitely research LEDs as you might find something that works in your price range and you won't have to battle heat. Have you thought about buying used LEDs?

No, i didnt think about used LEDs. Ill have to do some research on LEDs and look into the evergrows. Any ideas on were to look for used ones?

Don't get evergrows unless they're the reefbreeders fixtures, some you can customize so you can use NW. what's your budget?

Where can you get the reef breeders? I would like to check them out. Also what do you mean by NW? Budget, i would like to stay under a few hundred bucks. I like the idea of buying used and replacing the bulbs, just don't know were to look or what to look for. My tank is only 16" tall and 36" long

Last edited:
Any suggestions on LEDs that are decent and a fair price? My tank is 36"x13"x16" tall. Also your thoughts on my tank, it has kinda odd ends on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20121204_181446.jpg
    IMG_20121204_181446.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20121204_181501.jpg
    IMG_20121204_181501.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
Back