Lighting schedule after upgrade

dinki

I have order the Nova Extreme HO 48" 54W x 4 lights (Two 460nm Actinic Blue and two daylight 10,000K SlimPaq high output T5 fluorescent lamps) for my 55 gal tank. Right now I'm running two 24" 18W 50/50 lights. These stay on for 12 hours a day. I'm assuming that when I add this extra light that it could stress out my fish (two ocellaris clownfish, royal gramma, snails, crabs, cleaner shrimp).

What sort of lighting schedule should I start with? What should my final total time on be and how fast should I progress towards that final schedule?

dsn112

Premium Member
The fish would be fine. Its the algae outbreak that might occur that you should worry about.

Run the t5's for 4hrs for a 5 days and then 6hrs and so on until you get to about 10hrs. You should run the actinics for about 10hrs and the daylights for 8 once you acclimate your tank.

dinki

Fantastic. Thanks..

So run both actinics and daylights for the 'break in' period? Or should I be running the actinics for 4 hours and the daylights for 2 hours for the first five days?

AD87

You should run both sets of lights for 4 hours a day and ramp up the period every week. Do you have any corals? If not dont worry about it.

dinki

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11653732#post11653732 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by speeddemonlsr
You should run both sets of lights for 4 hours a day and ramp up the period every week. Do you have any corals? If not dont worry about it.

No, I don't have any corals. What is it that I shouldn't worry about?