Lighting suggestion for Macroalgae

pmathy

HI,

I am in the process of setting up a seahorse tank in a 70 gallon tall tank. I plan to have a DSB, LR and a large assortment of macro algae. I want to avoid lights that give off a lot of heat so am looking into NO florescents. I would appreciate any ideas for lighting arrangements. I will be retrofitting them into my hood which is 36' x 15.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Pam

Well, it sounds like you know what you plan on using (NO flourescents.) You could probably squeeze 4 bulbs in to a hood. The 6500K bulb from GE looks pretty nice (it's the one in the tacky orange box at Home Depot.) I don't know how well the macros will grow, as I don't have any experience with NO lights and saltwater. I remember from freshwater planted tank days that the plants looked a little thin under 3 NO bulbs, and the macros seem to like a bit more light. Maybe someone else has some experience with compact flourescent or power compact. Perhaps these give off more light. I'm not sure. I only use VHO or MH.

Hope that helps, Josh

If you can get 4 full length bulbs over there you will do alrigt fro some macro's. Otherwise I would suggest looking into VHO or PC's.

I run 2x30watt no actintics & 4x13watt pc 65k's in my 65gal reef & I get a lot of growth. Try the pc's (power compacts) from www.ahsupply.com 4x55watt should do nicely. 2x actintic & 2x 65k or 67k daylight bulbs IMHO would give you enough light to growmost types of seaweed. ;-) goodluck!
Mike

Back