lighting

sir_dudeguy

dont wanna steal the thread but its pretty much the smae thing...how bout a 175 over a 40 breeder? I'm guessing the same? the 40 breeders are pretty low, but they're kinda wide (front to back) so would it be enough to cover it? i've got a 2x96 on there right now that i'd just use for actinics.

mg426

A 40 is 4ft aint it?? I would think depth wise you would be AOK. Lengthwise you might want two.

sir_dudeguy

no the 40 isnt 40 ft...the standard 55's are 4 ft (48 inches) but this is only like 36 inches long..so 3 ft. still too long you guys think?

would i be better getting 2 smaller MH fixtures? if so...what wattages?

mg426

I stand corrected, i thought they were 4ft. Anyway the general thinking is 2ft/Mh bulb. Then again if the single bulb is two ft and the tank is 3ft you would only be lacking 6inches on each side. I dont see what that would hurt if you kept the corals under the lights. I got a couple Mh bulbs that I aint using PM me if you want to.

sir_dudeguy

dryice

actinics arent completely nessesary...so says a lot of people on here anyways. They dont really give off usable light to corals i guess, but if you have the option to turn them on by themselves, then imo it makes a more natural affect for the corals, which imo = healthier corals.

You would turn them on a half hour to an hour before the other lights come on...leave them running all day while main lights are on, then once the main/daylights go out, you leave them on for another half hour to an hour. Gives sort of a monring/evening affect. But this is also why people say actinics have shorter lives...imo its not that the bulb life is short, its just that extra half hour/hour extra every morning and evening that just adds up after a while.

But they also add a really nice color to your tank (blue) so i love them...but no they're not needed really, but if you can eventually get them (doesnt really matter when)...then go for it :)

mg

YGPM ;)

JR719

Tang Cop
Premium Member
You should be fine with that diminsion. Just keep the light loving corals away from the edges.
Actinics..... well.... there is a lot of "are they needed". I personally have them. Depends on what rating your MH bulb is and what color you want your tank. I have 10K MH so I have actinic to add a hint of blue. If you had a 20K MH, it will give off a blue tint.
The higher the K, the bluer the light, the lower, the more yellow light. 10K being fairly "white".