lighting ?

The REeFFers

I upgrated my pc lights to a mh 150watt this past week. I have only been running my mh for 1 hour a day to prevent any bleaching, but now I'm seeing that a lot of my zoas don't even open with in that time. And my sps isn't open up either. I was running my pc for 10 hours atinics and 7 hours 10k. I'm guessing things are kinda stressing form the lack of light any one have any advice on this big of a light change ??,

THANKS
GASPARE

i was under the impression that 4 hours would be a good start? 1 hour a day is alittle low? i would try 4 hours and bump it up every other day another 30 min?

may be someone can confirm...

Well. 5 hours is max what I wanna run it for should I just up it to 2 hours tonight and just add 15 mins every day till I reach 4 hours ? Is that a good plan ? Or I was also thinking of running my light higher then lowering it ? What is a better idea?

Run it for 8 hours and raise the light or put a couple pieces of fiberglass window screen over the tank and remove one piece a week. I only run my MH lights 8 hours a day, but I know some people run them longer.

I would start at 5 hours a day and increase by an hour after a week. I'm only running my MH's for 7 hours total. I don't think the corals need more than that. I do run the actinics before and after.

Well 4 to 5 is want I wanted to do max hahaha trying to save money on the power bill. So I have it set for 2 hours now should I just set it for 4 and then slowly go to 5 ? And if corals still aren't looking better , keep going?

i wouldn't worry about it... just go to 5... if you have been doing the 1 hour thing for a bit... they may be deprived and need the light asap...

I've been playing with the electrical usage calculator here on RC. For my 250mh it consumes 229 watts for 6 hrs a day and cost me less than 15 bucks a month, for each light. I'm guessing a 150mh is gonna be around $10. Come on dude, turn it on for 4/5 hrs. Any softies near the top and dead center under the bulb might start to bleach so keep an eye on them and/ or move them.

Haha. Ok. Set for 5 hours
charals did u do the math for the peak hour rate or off hour rate. My current land loard is a butt when it comes to the power bill. Soo should have moved in with you haha

Back