Lightning Maroon Clownfish & Blood-Orange Clownfish

Yin_Yang247

Pairing a Blood-Orange Clownfish with Lighting Maroon Clownfish.

The Blood-Orange has a pug-face, does anyone know if it will it be passed onto the next generation or not?

How do I prevent the next generation to not have a pug-face?

The "pug face" and other deformities encountered in captive raised clownfish are in my opinion not genetic but environmental and/or nutritional. The opinion that the deformities are caused by "inbreeding" or in a more technical term, genetic bottlenecking is pure nonsense. I have spawned and raised several wild caught Amphiprion species and the resulting F1 progeny have all had some form of deformity. Not one perfect fish in thousands. I have yet to see a single captive bred clownfish that I couldn't distinguish from a wild fish.

The "pug face" and other deformities encountered in captive raised clownfish are in my opinion not genetic but environmental and/or nutritional. The opinion that the deformities are caused by "inbreeding" or in a more technical term, genetic bottlenecking is pure nonsense. I have spawned and raised several wild caught Amphiprion species and the resulting F1 progeny have all had some form of deformity. Not one perfect fish in thousands. I have yet to see a single captive bred clownfish that I couldn't distinguish from a wild fish.

I agree that the primary cause is environmental or nutritional or both - probably already starting with the parents. Keep in mind that Anemonefish larva develop to a significant degree in the egg, only having available on nutrients what the mother gave them into the egg.
But I think that there must be also a genetic predisposition in the family for this that gets "switched on" and passed on. And the more generations this goes the more severe and permanent it gets.
Inbreeding has likely little to do with this. But with the designer mutants where color is more important than body shape poor selection criteria certainly add to the problem.

Back