Lights and headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesaias

Premium Member
Two Quick Questions
VHO retro kit is gonna set me back about $350
(icecap 660 + 4 36" bulbs and hardware)
2 Twin 96w PC kits are about $275( minus bulbs, I think)
Which would be best for a 45 high that is screaming for LPS corals? Both yeild about the same wattage, how bout light? The ads say Pcs yeild watt for watt twice as much lux as 110 VHOs... So, is 220w PC as good as 440w VHO?

Anybody else use a header on a powerhead to spread out water flow over a larger area?
I put a 10" header on a MJ400 near the top of my tank and pointed the jets at about75 degree angle and that seems to realy move the water alot better than the jet just the powerhead put out.
TTFN

------------------
hesaias
" If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?"- Albert Einstien

my homepage

[This message has been edited by hesaias (edited 12-24-1999).]

IMO... Metal Halide is the way to go. Cheaper in the long run too. I'm sure you thought about this option, but I am a strong advocate of MH lighting.

------------------
BW

My hood is too close to the water for MH right now, but Ill expand whatever light I get now to include MH when I get My 90 gal!!!!!!

------------------
hesaias
" If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?"- Albert Einstien

my homepage

My MH are approx 6in from the water. Actually my heaters are on just about all the time, fans really keep it cool. VHO and PC's will put of heat too the only difference is with MH the heat is concentrated versus spread out across the length of the bulb.

------------------
BW

>The ads say Pcs yeild watt for watt twice as much lux as 110 VHOs...

What add? This is false advertizing.

------------------
megareef.freeservers.com
Yup, new url, finally thumbnail index html's on the folders, and a streaming webcam!

hesaias;

PC's and VHO put out about the same amount of light. Especially when you are talking about the Icecap. I beleive that badgers said that you get an extra 5 lumins per foot, but loose some efficency for the bend and the reduced diameter. An electronic ballast allows either 25% more lumins, 25% less power at the same lumins as tar, or a combination. This is true for either PC or VHO.

Bottom line, 440W VHO and 380W PC are equivelent on a electronic ballast.
One test I saw rated them within 10%ight output.

Hope this helps;

DougL

------------------
http://sites.netscape.net/douglxyzzy

I dont wanna call no names, but a couple of well known MO companies on the web use that PC vs VHO add. Guess Ill go VHO.
Now do I buy from the local LFS and spend 450 more bucks to help out free enterprise( he said he couldnt even get close to the PA 4350 retro kit w\660 ballast and all hardware, or by MO. Anybody ever bought a light kit from PA?

------------------
hesaias

my homepage

Think PA it is, gonna get some snails and cukes too!, maybe a MJ 1200 and an inlet venturi for my skimmer....

------------------
hesaias

my homepage

Well Im looking at MH for my 90 gal, and my LFS gave me a quote that BEAT mail order, so I dont know if I believe that he cant get his hands on a particular lighting system. I mean, where do the MO sites get their systems from? :)

Well Im looking at MH for my 90 gal, and my LFS gave me a quote that BEAT mail order, so I dont know if I believe that he cant get his hands on a particular lighting system. I mean, where do the MO sites get their systems from? :)

I think VOLUME is the difference. They can take less profit because they sell more. Sometimes, you find a bargin though :)

------------------
hesaias

my homepage

They also dont help you set it up and do all the things a LFS does. Well at least my LFS. Yes I do agree typically a LFS wants a bigger markup than the MO, but I think if you tell your LFS "Hey, I can get it from here for x and x dollars" he will probably give it to you for that. He (I should say he or she) wants the sale, so if he knows you will go somewhere else, the LFS will probably accomidate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back