lights? flow? what is causing my red slime?

daveverdo

I have two tanks (90g and 30g) plumbed together to the same sump so the water conditions are the same in both tanks. Both have T5 lighting (5 x 54w - 90g and 3 x 39w - 30g). I have no red slime problems in the 30g (no fish only LR, coral, and snails). In the 90g I have a bad red slime problem.

The 30g only has a maxijet 1200 and the bulbs are 1-10,000K, 1-12,000K, 1 actinic, vary in age from 12-24 months.

The 90g has a Koralia 2 and a Tamm Seio P530 powerheads. The bulbs are a mix of of 10,000K, actinic, and superblue, they are between 12 and 16 months old.

I don't dose kalk or anything and pretty much keep up with water changes.

The 90g is running about 16 months and the 30g is up about a year.

Thanks,
Dave

Tagging along.

Over the last couple days I started getting some red slime. I've siphoned a bunch out but there is quite a bit still remaining. Its mostly concentrated on my frag rack.

Re: lights? flow? what is causing my red slime?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15411415#post15411415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by daveverdo
I have two tanks (90g and 30g) plumbed together to the same sump so the water conditions are the same in both tanks. Both have T5 lighting (5 x 54w - 90g and 3 x 39w - 30g). I have no red slime problems in the 30g (no fish only LR, coral, and snails). In the 90g I have a bad red slime problem.

The 30g only has a maxijet 1200 and the bulbs are 1-10,000K, 1-12,000K, 1 actinic, vary in age from 12-24 months.

The 90g has a Koralia 2 and a Tamm Seio P530 powerheads. The bulbs are a mix of of 10,000K, actinic, and superblue, they are between 12 and 16 months old.

I don't dose kalk or anything and pretty much keep up with water changes.

The 90g is running about 16 months and the 30g is up about a year.

Thanks,
Dave
Hi, Dave.
I'm sure you already know a few things about cyanobacters.
Although both your aquariums are plumbed together I wouldn't assume water conditions are exactly the same in both.
Out of curiosity... do you feed any mysids, cyclops or brineshrimp (meaty seafoods) to the 90?

Out of curiosity... do you feed any mysids, cyclops or brineshrimp (meaty seafoods) to the 90?

Yes, I feed a variety of frozen, flake, and pellet.

If the water is circuating fairly strongly through the three tanks, 30g, 90g, and sump, why wouldn't the water conditions be the same?

Dave

circulation (total tank turnover rate) is quicker in the smaller aquariums than the 90, right....

see where I'm going with this?

do you feed any of the meaty seafoods to aquariums other than the 90?

just feed the 90g most of the time. feed the 30g with coral frenzy or cyclpos once in a while.

is there a protein skimmer in the sump?

Octopus 200 in the sump

circulation (total tank turnover rate) is quicker in the smaller aquariums than the 90, right....

No, the turnover is roughly proportional, both tanks turnover about 5-6 times per hour.

Both tanks drain into the same location in the sump and both return pumps are near each other.

same herbivores in each aquarium?

lighting definitely impacts cyano growth but you can only control nuisance algae/cyano to a certain extent with lighting alone. You could change out the lights and let us know what happens... or drop a Strombus in the 90 :)

or drop a Strombus in the 90

Interesting

The red slime has only been acting up the last two months or so. I had a fighting conch that died but I'm not sure if that coincides with the increase in the red slime.

The conch appeared to be doing well, burrowing, surfacing every now and then, moving around. Then I found the empty shell one. I may not have had enough open area. I rearranged the rocks so I have more open space now. May try another.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15414171#post15414171 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by daveverdo
The red slime has only been acting up the last two months or so. I had a fighting conch that died but I'm not sure if that coincides with the increase in the red slime.
sounds like it coincides to me :)

dr mac's is running a sale on a few snails and zebra hermits that he claim's eat cyano. g at abc had a few queens not to long ago. i've kept a queens in the 28 and they have been model citizens. i just sell them once they outgrow my tank.

Back