lights for my new 110

j.p. harrington

:idea::idea:so here it is i found a great deal on a 110 on craigslist so i stoped by the lfs and was talking about lighting the tanks is 31" and we had talked about MH because of the depth but then he also mentioned that i could run a 4 bulb t5 kit on it and id just have to have my higher light demanding corals higher in the tank

with that said do you think 4 would be enough?

and also i have put together a list of a combo with MH and T5 retro kit off of BRS i dont have the t5 bulbs included because im not sure which one is want yet tell me what you think and if i could get this stuff cheaper anywhere else

Single Mogul Socket $9.50 X2 $19.00
Lumatek 250w ELECTRONIC REMOTE BALLAST $124.99 X2 $249.98
15 FT Lamp Cord 16 GA W-Male P $11.99 X2 $23.98
Wire Suspension Hanging Kit - 2 Point Connection $29.99 X2 $29.99
250 Watt XM 15k Single-Ended Mogul Metal Halide Bulb $64.99 X2 $129.98 54W 48" T5 RETROFIT KIT Tek Sunlight Supply $127.99 $127.99

thats the system i thought of i could add another set of T5's if you all think i need to or do you think i should just buy something like the 6 bulb T5 tek fixture?

thanks i know its kinda long just have a ton of ?'s

HAHAHA, outside of my family ive never heard anyone say North Cakilakki, great state. I was just researching very similar products. Im plannin on the same thing just 150w for my 72 or 90 that in the works (size depends on how much money i can save up). My lfs recommended the 8 bulb t5 if i went that route. But im leaning toward the DIY setup, its way cheaper than buying somthing premade, but i have to have a hood if I do that. And since I would need a hood, Im concerned with heat. However, Ive seen people write that fans or chillers are un necessary, so when I build Im not gonna put in any holes for fans, and if need be I can just get out the jigsaw and add the fans...

yea sqiordano its not very common anymore. so i priced up everything i think i could possibly need including the extra set of T5's so that would make it 4X54 watt T5s and 2X250 watt MH a couple leds. and fans all for a lil under 900.

im open to suggestions on equipment or anyhting in general

MH will be plenty for your tank,,suggest reeflux bulbs.. your T5x4 over kill x2 would suffice pure actinic 003...IMO

I had a 110g a few years ago and used a Current 4-bulb HO T5. It is great for illuminating the tank, but it will not do much for corals, at least not SPS. Based on my experience, I would use your money to buy something more substantial. That is a really deep tank and, honestly, a hard tank to aquascape because of that. If you're dead set on using T5s, I would opt for one of the more expensive 8 bulb units with individual reflectors. This is one tank where I think MHs are the best option.

i am building a 110 with the same dimensions and im going to use 2 250 hqi pendents and they will be perfect oh yea i forgot i will use 14k phoenix bulbs and then just use some 48" vho blues for morning and evening lighting for about 30 min before and after the halides come on and off.....this will be plenty of light and if you are looking for deals i got 2 pendents and a dual ballast from here for 200 bucks....you cant beat that

good luck and happy reefing

yea i plan on going with the MH t5 combo i was just wondering about if i had the right equipment and or if i could get it cheaper somewhere else and fishbudguy. are you saying you bought them off of here or you are selling them on here because i cant seem to find the forsale thread anywhere

More Light on Lighting Needed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry all, but the more I read about lighting for a reef tank, the more confused I get. There are so many unfamiliar terms (eg: What is "PAR" and why is it important?) and so many lighting options! Yep, I'm a newbie at least with regard to lights. Can anyone point me to a single source of information that will help me to better understand this science and enable me to make some enlightened (pun intended) decisions regarding what I need for my 120 gal mixed reef tank? Many thanks.

Back