Lights or controller???

Lights or controller???

• LEDs kit

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • controller

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

symon_say

I'm setting my tank and right now i just have the money for the LEDs kit or the controller, and in a few months i'll have the money for the other, i was gonna get the lights but i'm gonna let my tank cycle for almost 2 months, i plan on introduces my CUC on mid December.

In your case what would you get first???

- LEDs kit
- controller

i would say dont get the LEDs... i ve been reading up on them and they dont even seem worth the money. people have even seen a decrease in some coral growth. and its still new technology. i have a aqualife t5 with 6 bulbs and it seems awesome. i dont have my tank up and running yet though :/.... but if your just going to buy both then id just buy the more expensive one first and get it over with

+1 on Lights... You can get by with no controller for a while, but you'll need some sort of lights to start with.

I'm not going to vote because I'm unsure I have it straight. You say you'll be cycling the tank for 2 months anyway.... so there's no need for lights of any kind right now. So I'd think the controller would be the better buy. You can run all the wiring you'll need as you're setting up the tank, rather than having to redo it all after purchasing the controller later. Gives you time to work out all the settings, etc. When the lights come, plug and play.

I'm not going to vote because I'm unsure I have it straight. You say you'll be cycling the tank for 2 months anyway.... so there's no need for lights of any kind right now. So I'd think the controller would be the better buy. You can run all the wiring you'll need as you're setting up the tank, rather than having to redo it all after purchasing the controller later. Gives you time to work out all the settings, etc. When the lights come, plug and play.

What he said

A controller for the lights or a controller for the lights + everything else? What LED light are you getting? A lot of the higher end ones come with their own controllers.

If you are buying one now and saving to buy one later I would have to ask what all your other equipment is. I would imagine the list of other things you could get instead of a controller would be pretty extensive.

I know I would personally buy a nice LED setup that comes with its own controller, if I had a few hundred extra I would buy a vortech powerhead which also has its own controller.

Controller for everything, LED's will be a DIY KIT from rapidled, i have all the other equipment i need right now, pumps, powerheads, skimmer and everything right now.

i would say dont get the LEDs... i ve been reading up on them and they dont even seem worth the money. people have even seen a decrease in some coral growth. and its still new technology. i have a aqualife t5 with 6 bulbs and it seems awesome. i dont have my tank up and running yet though :/.... but if your just going to buy both then id just buy the more expensive one first and get it over with

I will strongly disagree. I love my new LED lighting and have saved a small fortune in electricity by ditching my old MH lighting and chiller. SPS growth and color have been as good or better than when I ran MH lighting. Some of the corals are not quite as bright, but other corals look even better. With the recent drop in price for the Aqua Illuminations SOL Blue fixtures, if you don't plan on building your own LED lighting, I think they are the way to go.

I built my own using the 3W CREE LEDs. Growth was great all around. Colors sucked all around. This is after a year and a half of use. So those with LEDs, give it time before you speak. Just FYI.

I've had mine up for 6 months now, I find it hard to believe things are suddenly going to go South on me after that duration.

Just my opinion. There's been plenty of talk on LED lighting. OP can search them out. We won't talk over his thread with it.

LEDs! dont waste your money on a controller... yet. to be honest with you, a controller is really unnecessary. yea its cute to have and helpful in some aspects but its really not needed more then lights. hold off on the controller and buy a really nice set of LEDs and then when you have your tank set up and running for awhile get a tank controller.

Controller first. You don't need lights during a cycle, an as mentioned before, once the controller comes, you'll be doing a lot of rewiring to get things how you want them. Better to just do that now and then get your lights and be done with that headache.

John

I think i'm gonna get controller first, it will be more useful during cycling and is easier to set lights later than set the controller.

Exactly. It seems as if nobody actually read your post. Just saw the topic and the poll and started opening their mouth. Welcome to the internet I guess...

Back