Lights

jbcincy44

How many watts per gallon do you reccomend for a reef tank? I'm just looking to see what your guys opinions are.

do not go by the watts per gal. rule on a sw tank. there are to many variables. you could use pc, MH, T5, LED's, and each have diff. watts per gal. rule, then it is ballast type, bulb brand ect.

what are you planning to keep? what is you price range? ect.

I am not to sure what types of corals I'm gonna keep, it will be my first sw tank. Im gonna get a 180. I was looking at a t5 fixture thats got about 576 watts. Would this lighting fixture be enough? Its an Orbit Fixture.

if you want gorgonians sponges and mushrooms, that would be way too much light.. you really have to do research and decide on what you want to keep.

You can never have too much light. If you want to keep low light corals, just creat overhangs or darker places with your aquascape so you can place the coral there.

can you show a link to the fixture your planning? also what are the dimentions of the tank.

that fixture prob. won't be to much for shrooms and such. and depending on the type of fixture it may just be enough for shrooms and such.

that light are PC's and for that size tank you could keep softies, leathers, and most of the LPS corals, also some of the easier SPS corals. but the LPS and SPS would have to be tward the top.

I would suggest either getting 3 250 watt MH's or a good quality T5HO setup theat uses individual reflectors for each bulb.

The main thing that I was worried about if I got the 250w MH that I would need to get a chiller, would I need to get one if i got the metal halide? also is there any VHO lighting that you would reccomend?

i run 2 400 watt MH's over my 75 gal. and I don't use a chiller. I do have a couple 4" fans running in the canopy when the lights are on and also an 8" clip on fan from walmart over the sump just for back up. but most of the time my heaters are still turned on to keep temp up to 79 degree's.

are you wanting to know about VHO's to light your whole tank or just for supplental lighting with the MH's?

then I would go with T5HO's with individual reflectors over VHO's to light the tank.

2 sets of these from reefgeek would alow alot of diff. corals + it will allow you to add more bulbs later if you end up going to mainly SPS.

36" 4x39W Tek 2 T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs
by Sunlight Supply
List Price: $339.00
Our Price: $289.00
You Save: $50.00 (15%)

just my opinion. I would use VHO's for much anything except supplental lighting.

Also what would be the best Metal Halide set-up in your opinion? I've been just tryin to get the equipment down that I'm gonna buy here in about a month or 2.

i would go with 3-250 watt icecap ballasts. spider reflectors will work and if you run the 20k XM bulbs no need for supplental lighting. those ballasts will run any type of bulb you need. also great costomer service.

Back