Lion suggestions in a certain situation.

Fitz19d

Alright, I'm a nut and love mantis shrimp. I've had a small one live peacefully even with slow moving fish like a scooter blenny.

However I just bought and have holding a very large 6 inch peacock mantis. Going in a 55, I wanted more than just the peacock. I may have done an SPS tank but high light is an issue. So If I'm stuck w/ lower light corals I figured that might make a lion which also would wreck havoc in my normal mixed reef maybe a good mix if I can get them at a size they won't bother each other. (One key is keeping mantis hand fed and lazy)

I was thinking a zebra/fuzzy but the ones locally so far are only like 2 inches. Grow fast but I'd be worried for them. Too small a tank for some of the others like radiata and they also may get too big for the mantis anyways. I hadn't expected to get a full grown peacock.

Was planning on just waiting for a closer to full grown dwarf/zebra. (Figure 8 inch vs 6 inch and thick peacock should be good to make them uninterested in each other.)

However another LFS has a Foo Man Shu in that is 5 maybe 6 inches. Already weaned to prepared/dead food!

Thoughts on hanging out for a bigger dwarf/zebra vs the foo man shu? Less active I've read but I think prettier generally. If I see signs of trouble I can potentially put the fu man shu in my mixed reef and he'd be small enough to leave the fish in there alone I think. (But a problem if I start getting ornamental inverts.)

There won't be any "signs" of trouble unless you catch the mantis hunting...it will pop the lion and that's pretty much it, esp. if the mantis is a larger specimen. That is, unless the lion decides to eat the mantis...

About the only thing I've had success keeping in a mantis tank are urchins, altho the only one that didn't eventually get killed and eaten was a Diadema sp. (longspine).

I'd be looking to keep low-light or NPS corals, maybe a Cerianthus tube 'nem. A peacock will want to use some frags as lair building material, so attaching them or getting larger corals will be the best.

HTH

^ sounds about right.

Fu man chu are usually active at night, at least mine was. Really cool fish, that's what I would go with, but that's me. If you have had success with other fish and mantis you could try it, but it's a risk. Mantis shrimp are beasts, as I'm sure you know. Be a pretty cool tank if you got it to work tho...

Back