lionfish concerns

neonapologist

hi all - i'm relatively new to saltwater fish, but have been having a wonderful time! reef central has been invaluable, so thank you for all your help

i've had a 36 gallon tank w a dwarf lionfish, a dottiebrook, two damselfish and a clownfish for about a year now. when we first got the tank, we were feeding the lionfish live minnows, but after doing some research learned that feeding a saltwater fish freshwater feeders was no good, so we've been feeding her frozen silversides for the last few months
about a week ago, we fed her a slightly larger than usual silverside, which she ate. but since then she hasnt eaten anything...we've tried wiggling frozen food, we've gotten minnows and ghost shrimp. the live food will be like half an inch from the lionfish and she doesnt go after it :( she's also been in some weird positions in the tank, and i worry she cant swim as well as she used to (when the fish are near her she seems to be looking at them a little and moving but doesnt go after it)
reading through some older posts it seems like it might be a blockage or goiter from that large silverside she ate last week? is there anything we can do to help her?
water levels are normal btw, tested it all yesterday

thanks again to this amazing community and thanks for all your help!

Do you see any buldge or swollen stomach or any other swelling on the fish? it might be constipated and might need to give it a day or do to get it passed through.
Epsom salt 1 tablespoon per 5 gal can be used to help relax the muscles and might help pass it through.

Back