Lionfish threaten Long Island waters

• Thread starter Deleted member 7065
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7065

Lionfish threaten Long Island waters

GARDEN CITY, N.Y., Sept. 8 (UPI) -- Scientists are investigating how a flamboyant tropical fish native to the Pacific Ocean is surviving in the chilly waters off New York's Long Island.

Divers have captured hundreds of lionfish this summer in what a biologist terms "a population explosion," The New York Times reports.

Known for its brightly colored stripes and multitude of venomous spines, the lionfish is a voracious eater and could pose a threat to indigenous fish, the newspaper said.

Todd R. Gardner, a biologist at Atlantis Marine World aquarium in Riverhead, N.Y., discovered lionfish were spawning in the Atlantic five years ago when he found one clinging to a dock piling by Fire Island. The Times said Gardner has been studying them since then along with biologist Paula Whitfield of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Besides threatening Long Island's shellfish and fin fish, humans can receive a painful sting from the spines of a lionfish.

One word. ADAPTATION!

Much like the salt water gobies blown from the ballast tanks of Russian freighters thriving in Lake Michigan.

Wow! I'm from Long Island and have been to Fire island also and I cant belive they are thriving that far north. I new they were up to N. Carolina but New York........ unreal

I believe it was the creepy old dude in the first Jurassic Park that said "mother nature always finds a way."

I remember reading about a few seen in that area years ago. IIRC they said it was probably a fluke at that time. Guess not eh?

Back