Lionfish

Rarewon

For immediate release: April 16, 2014

Suggested Tweet: #Lionfish invasion: @MyFWC moves forward with management changes [[VIEW THIS URL]] #Florida

Photos available on FWC Flickr site: Go to https://flic.kr/s/aHsjBiA5CJ.

Lionfish invasion: FWC moves forward with management changes

The lionfish is an invasive species that threatens Florida's native wildlife and habitat. With that in mind, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) on April 16 moved forward with steps to combat the spread of invasive lionfish.

Changes proposed by FWC staff at today's meeting near Tallahassee will be brought back before the Commission at its June meeting in Fort Myers for final approval. Changes include:

Prohibiting the importation of live lionfish;
Prohibiting the development of aquaculture of lionfish;
Allowing the harvest of lionfish when diving with a rebreather, a device that recycles air and allows divers to remain in the water for longer periods of time; and
Increasing opportunities that will allow participants in approved tournaments and other organized events to spear lionfish or other invasive species in areas where spearfishing is not allowed. This will be done through a permitting system.
Staff has been working with the Florida Legislature on a bill in support of the initiatives to prohibit the importation of live lionfish and the aquaculture of lionfish.

"œBy targeting the importation of lionfish to our state, we can limit the number of new lionfish that find their way into Florida waters and, at the same time, encourage further harvest to reduce the existing invasive population," said State Rep. Holly Raschein, sponsor of the House bill. "œThese fish pose a significant threat to Florida's ecosystem, and I am proud to stand in support of the proposed ban. Anything we can do to limit new lionfish introductions and further facilitate the development of a commercial market for this invasive species is a step in the right direction."

Changes like these will make it easier for divers to remove lionfish from Florida waters and will help prevent additional introductions of lionfish into marine habitats.

Lionfish control efforts, from outreach and education to regulatory changes, have been a priority for FWC staff. In 2013, they hosted the first ever Lionfish Summit, which brought together various stakeholders from the public as well as management and research fields to discuss the issues and brainstorm solutions. The changes proposed at today's meeting came from ideas that were discussed at the Lionfish Summit.

To learn more about these changes, visit MyFWC.com/Commission and "œCommission Meetings." To learn more about lionfish, visit MyFWC.com/Fishing and click on "œSaltwater," "œRecreational Regulations" and "œLionfish."

-30-
AN/JL/MR/MFM
WBD/SCB

It would be a better use of our time to build a time machine and go back 25 years in the past and do something about the problem then. I guess better late than never but the situation is clearly beyond this.

Last edited:
It would be a better use of our time to build a time machine and go back 25 years in the past and do something about the problem then. I guess better late than never but the situation is clearly beyond this.

+1. i'm all for it though. it sucks for wholesalers that export them, but it is what it is. get your rarer types of lionfish now, cuz from now on (if approved) we can only get what's locally collected... violitans.

Yup. Basically they are closing the barn door long after the cows got out.

Our group that we go fishing with has caught them even fishing bridge in the keys. They are well fed there cause they are fat. We do our part taking them out when caught...one guy in our group loves eating them- so win-win. They do have a nice white meat & says they taste is good. It's just sad that is has gotten this far. I know a few big mutton snapper has gotten a taste for them..hope all the snapper gets a taste for them

FMAS set up a booth a few years back at an Underwater Film Festival at the Miami Science Museum. The had a truck giving out Lionfish Tacos, they are actually very tasty, the meat is like any other white fish. Ide eat it if restaurants would provide it.

Maybe if that picked up speed and hunters would sell to restaurants it would curb the population some. Imagine if their was a local demmand for it in SF restaurants, thousands per day would be needed.

Maybe if that picked up speed and hunters would sell to restaurants it would curb the population some. Imagine if their was a local demmand for it in SF restaurants, thousands per day would be needed.

Scary-Dragon-Roll-from-Lionfish-at-E-Sushi-Shap-in-Aruba-300x225.jpg

Man can take down their numbers fast....we don't have regs in place for fishing for no other reason....

Around the world...Caribbean and Latin America lead the way....Florida too :thumbsup:
http://lionfish.co/eat-lionfish-here/

Florida

The Square Grouper Bar & Grill (Cudjoe Key)
KrazyFish: Thai, Sushi & More (Ft Pierce)
Chef Michael’s (Islaorada)
Lazy Days Restaurant (Islamorada)
Ziggy and Mad Dog”s (Islamorada)
Food Shack (Jupiter)
Key Largo Conch House (Key Largo)
Mrs. Mac’s Kitchen (Key Largo)
The Fish House Encore (Key Largo)
Castaway Waterfront Restaurant & Sushi Bar (Marathon)
Fish Fish (Miami)

Im telling you. I dont eat fish unless its white meat. Lionfish is good eating.

There is a market out there for it.

Some might disagree but if the market is created, and the only Lionfish that is allowed into restaurants has to be hunted in our area, it will make an impact.

Scary-Dragon-Roll-from-Lionfish-at-E-Sushi-Shap-in-Aruba-300x225.jpg

Man can take down their numbers fast....we don't have regs in place for fishing for no other reason....

Around the world...Caribbean and Latin America lead the way....Florida too :thumbsup:
http://lionfish.co/eat-lionfish-here/

Florida

The Square Grouper Bar & Grill (Cudjoe Key)
KrazyFish: Thai, Sushi & More (Ft Pierce)
Chef Michael’s (Islaorada)
Lazy Days Restaurant (Islamorada)
Ziggy and Mad Dog”s (Islamorada)
Food Shack (Jupiter)
Key Largo Conch House (Key Largo)
Mrs. Mac’s Kitchen (Key Largo)
The Fish House Encore (Key Largo)
Castaway Waterfront Restaurant & Sushi Bar (Marathon)
Fish Fish (Miami)

Thats very good info RareWon- they all seem to be in the Keys.

More needs to happen in SF where the mass of people are!!! How can we spread the word? Lets stop yapping and do something!!!!

Are there any local Chefs out there that can bring it into the menu, etcc.......

Im telling you. I dont eat fish unless its white meat. Lionfish is good eating.

I take your word and my italian friend who has a nook for catching them when we bridge hop in the keys. Says they are very good eating..like lobster/hogfish

file.php

Click on the link & a few other in the USa also have them on the menu. There is also the Lionfish Derby - http://www.reef.org/lionfish/derbies . Someone in here might have insight how to spread the word to our west coast brothers.

1,408 lionfish removed in 2009
1,578 lionfish removed in 2010
3,542 lionfish removed in 2011
2,694 lionfish removed in 2012
2,790 lionfish removed in 2013
12,012 lionfish removed in all REEF Derbies

With lionfish not being prone to taking baited hooks and living in a habitat that prevents use of trawls or large seines, it's going to be hard to ever bring enough fishing pressure to put a serious dent into their population. Add in the fact they are found in significant numbers ranging from nearly fresh water portions of estuaries, all down to about 1000' deep in the ocean and we're talking about a fish with an unparalleled distribution and abundance. As much as I hate to admit it, they are here to stay. Despite that, I'm all for hunting them to our utmost. At the very least, localized controls can help the reefs that are heavily fished for those pesky lions.

With lionfish not being prone to taking baited hooks and living in a habitat that prevents use of trawls or large seines, it's going to be hard to ever bring enough fishing pressure to put a serious dent into their population. Add in the fact they are found in significant numbers ranging from nearly fresh water portions of estuaries, all down to about 1000' deep in the ocean and we're talking about a fish with an unparalleled distribution and abundance. As much as I hate to admit it, they are here to stay. Despite that, I'm all for hunting them to our utmost. At the very least, localized controls can help the reefs that are heavily fished for those pesky lions.

LOL Bill I agree, but how about this.... They become a delicacy where hunters get top dollar for selling to restaurants. Restaurants charge top dollar as they do for other ridiculous things. Hunters are able to make a living out of getting them. Its a win win. Issue is getting them to be a delicacy in restaurants.

Recently took a trip down to the keys and ate at lazy days some Lion fish rather cheap and pretty good ... The market could open up its already pretty hot with the locals

I went fishing a couple weeks ago with a friend near a wreck out of biscayne and caught two, the biggest ive ever seen in almost 200' . If they are found in that depth i agree with bill.

I just went through my pictures to see them and both are about 16inches. These things were huge i can only imagine the damaged they caused, but i was glad to get them out.

Last edited:
LOL Bill I agree, but how about this.... They become a delicacy where hunters get top dollar for selling to restaurants. Restaurants charge top dollar as they do for other ridiculous things. Hunters are able to make a living out of getting them. Its a win win. Issue is getting them to be a delicacy in restaurants.

I expect it would need to be a high dollar delicacy to the point of making swordfish look like a cheap meal.

Back