lions and snowflake?

palmer373

i should ask this question before any other ones, would a fu manchu and maybe a barberi work out with a snowflake eel? ive asked freinds and they dont forsee a problem but none are lionfish experts.

ok ive been work on my 55 for a while now. i was planning on just a fu, maybe a barberi, and a butt load of damsels but ive really liked the snowflake. a freind has one in their 29 reef and the only downside he has noticed is its a bulldozer but im ok with that. there are also a lot of damsels and none have died yet. he has kept it in there for a year so that leaned me towards getting one.

after yabbinb on i have lost my place so ill ask my main question, should i put the fu or the snowflake in first? if there is going to be a problem with the fu and snowflake please tell me, even tho id love to have both of these im no expert so opinions are appreciated.

thanks a lot!

I'd be concerned that the eel may swim into the lion during feedings and be stung. Eels in general, seem to swim blindly when they smell food and have little concern of what they run into. Pebble tooth morays are not much of a concern to fish, so the damsels and fu should be safe

don't have a lion but i do have a snowflake. I would disagree with wht olemiss said. My eel doesn't really swim around in open water all that much. Generally when i feed he just comes out of his hole far enough to grab whatever i am feeding it and then ducks back in. Maybe it depneds on yout particular eel thogh. Mine spends most of its time at the bottom of the tank wrapped up in the rocks and only seems to swim freely if i don't feed it for a while and it starts to look for food is what i can figure. I am no expert.

thanks for the help some freinds told me they dont see a problem cuase the snowflakes just hide all day essentually so ill try it!

I agree with Blownsvt, my snowflake eel rarely comes out of the rocks unless its been a few days since he's eaten.

I've kept P. volitans with a SFE with no issues, however, I CAN say that once a SFE gets some size on it, tankmates have a tendency to start disappearing and the eels tend to get mean (I've been bitten twice in the past by SFE). The eels do come out and hunt at night and have no issues with eating a sleeping fish. The thing with lions is they're crepuscular, and are thus more active in dim lighting than diurnal fish, so you may be OK.

It's a question of your risk tolerance...do you want to risk a fu or other lion that you have possibly spent months weaning to a SFE?

hmmph now you have me thinking AGAIN haha. do the SFE have sharp teeth and did they hurt/bleed when you were attacked? lol i might take the chance, seems to me the fu will most likely be the hungry fat guy at Mcdonalds instead of the other way around but i have seen hungry, skinny guys at Mcdonalds so you never know....

Yes, it hurt...yes, it bled...yes, I still have scars. I kept that eel for 15 years until I lost it when a GCFI failed in the open position. Nobody wanted an aggressive eel (I had tried to give it away), and it was tragic for it to die that way. It did, however, cure me of wanting to keep another eel.

I'll stick with scorpionfish...

great......... i watched a guy at the LFS get zapped by a maroon protecting its anemone, didnt feel good....

Back