little white starfish

Check your water chemistry. Asterinas are generally considered scavengers and will only eat something that is dying and are not harmful to healthy coral. They can however reach nuicance poplations and irritate them causing them to close up.

They loved to munch on my zoas and my yuma's, I got a harlequin and have noticed a decrease in their numbers.

And the plus side, my zoa's and yuma's look way better now.

Agreed, they are zoa pigs. I have really great water quality but they show up and for whatever reason like the nicer looking zoas. I just bought a harlequin shrimp last week and I have to say it is one awesome looking critter besides the fact that it chows on the starfish. Once they are gone, I'm going to toss a few chocolate chip starfish in my sump and feed one leg at a time to the harlequin. That is what was suggested to me. A little creepy but....

I had seems like a million of these little dudes... everyday i would scoop out like 50 with a net... 2 months later they were all gone :)

If you buy them and decide to keep them, you could either set up a 30g with like 6-8 chocolate sea stars and every other week or two chop off a leg and feed it to the harlequin and just rotate through the sea stars every time. Or you could put a few in the sump and do the same thing. The only thing is you'd have to feed the food too, some raw shrimp or something meaty so the stars don't die off.

Instead of starting a new thread, i thought I'd post in here. Do harlequins get along with cleaner shrimp? pistol shrimp?

Back