live brine question

decapsulate (sp?), there are ways of doing it and I don't know them :) Just always heard it makes them better for the fishies, something about food value and better for small or baby fishes tummies.

is it as easy as people make it sound? im planning to hatch them in my garage..but right now is winter...i know they have to be around 80 degreess...anyone out there got any exp with hatching?

I have hatched them with upside down 2 liter bottles with the bottom cut out. Have had varying degrees of hatch rate. Follow the instructions with eggs, use RO/DI for the mixing water and put the hatchery where the salt spray won't bother you. It is a fairly low cost thing to try.
Captsluggo

Raising brine is pretty easy but you go through all that work to end up with something that has almost no nutritional value. Brine are about the worst thing you can feed your fish. They taste really good to the fish so they will fill up and not eat anything else. I think they are like 98% water so the fish can actually starve to death from the brine. I would take the time to research raising pods like the tiger pod to feed, tigers have a high nutritional value and are great to feed. Mysis are also really good.

thanks for the input..are we able to raise mysis? if so, how is that? and tiger pods? are you talking about the one that reef nutrition sells? How would you harvest the pods anyways? using a net?

Take a look at livecopepods.com they have kits and info on how to raise all types of pods. I buy mine live so I do not know to much about raising them, these people can get you more info and on the right track.

Take a look at livecopepods.com they have kits and info on how to raise all types of pods. I buy mine live so I do not know to much about raising them, these people can get you more info and on the right track.

thanks for the info..i'll get to that

I don't have a lot of advice on raising live brine, but I do know the best way to feed them to your fish is to gut load them with vitamins before you feed. Basically what this means is you feed the brine food with high nutritional value and then in turn your fish will be getting the same thing. I'm sure there are other threads that talk about how to do this.

I don't have a lot of advice on raising live brine, but I do know the best way to feed them to your fish is to gut load them with vitamins before you feed. Basically what this means is you feed the brine food with high nutritional value and then in turn your fish will be getting the same thing. I'm sure there are other threads that talk about how to do this.

thanks..i remember reading something about feeding them phyto before feeding your fishes with them...i'm also looking into copepods..any one has experience with these?

Back