Live rock alternatives?

Twisted

Premium Member
I have a 55 gallon tank and stocking it little by little. I noticed that the live rock I bought <2 large pieces about 6 pounds each so far> were live, but very little to no purple on them, they have been in my tank for about a month now and I have been putting coravite in, and they are starting to color now, a few good size patches of purple, along with a really fine purple spray like pattern along the rest.

My question is, now that I have these two pieces somewhat established am I better off just buying straight live rock still or can I buy a couple more large pieces for the base of my reef out of the dry rock bins?
The live rock I am buying varies from $4.99 a pound to $7.99 a pound, while the dry rock that looks the same but is not alive is only like $1.50 a pound.
Will this dry rock still be able to cure or will it always look bleached out. And if it will cure how much longer will it take over the live rock?

I was just considering saveing a little money and buying two more large base type rocks out of the dry, then buying the rest live rock to stack on top. The smaller live rock is cheap compared two a couple big pieces.

hey, find a local reefer in the selling forum who is selling their LR, usually wont go for more than 3.00 / lbs and most likely already has coralline on it.

I held out and found someone who was moving. Paid $1.50 a pound for some fiji LR right from his tank. Just a question of how long you're willing to wait. You're in CA. Lots of reefers there.

It will seed your base rock over time. In a year you won't know the difference.

I agree on waiting to find someone that is taking down a tank and getting rid of their Liverock. Base rock is not so good looking and boring. To bad you are not closer to me, I have 180lbs of Haitian Liverock covered in corraline algae that I am selling for $2 a lb. Good luck.

In the mean time, buy base rock. As long as it is actual reef rock (once once LR but is now dead), it will turn into LR in your tank. It will take for 3-6 months for this to happen, but in the long run you are getting more LR for cheap.

Thanks all. Sounds like it is better to wait it out and watch for deals. I just joined the local reef club which I guess consist of 7 people right now, but forceing my neighbor and his mother in law into going too, so it will be 9 of us in all.
Most of the guys in the club have already stated they would help me get the rest of my tank together little by little. But a couple of them are trying to make money off of their hobby so not going to part with anything cheap. The rest are more then willing to hand out frags of stuff they have that is getting big. So tonight is the first meeting I will be at, hopefully someone there will have some LR for sale.

Back