Live Rock and Sand?

drillsar

This is a established tank running for 2 years, I just bought some Tampa Bay rock(20lbs) and about 10lbs of sand. Can I just add the sand on top of my sand? Add the rock? Trying to find best way of doing this with little to nothing cycle.

How big is the tank and how much existing rock and sand?

I’m very cautious. So, personally, I would put the new sand and rock into a stock tank to cycle it. Just to be sure.

Is the rock live? If so there may be enough dead organics on it to start a new cycle, if it's dead you can add it without any concerns. Try to only add 1/2" of sand at a time, space it out every few days if you are adding more than 1/2" to allow the sand dwelling organisms to migrate to the surface.

Tank is 45 Gallons with a 20 gallon sump. I have about 20 lbs of sand in now and about 40lbs of rock. Adding some of my rock to sump area.

I have 4 corals (Devil Hand, Hammer Coral, Duncan and Orange Leptastrea coral. Fighting Conch, 5 blue leg hermits, assorted snails and pistol shrimp

I’ll go back to my initial thought of cycling it outside the tank.

That said, @liverock what are your thought?

drillsar, in case you don’t know, liverock owns TBS.

Live rock will have die off if you are having it shipped . Depending on how much is how it will affect the tank.

Back