Live Rock from internet

Fishhook85

Anyone have any experience ordering live rock from internet companies.
My local fish store charges $10 per lb, just insane.

Psirex

order dry and seed/cook yourself and when adding to tank add live bacteria to jump start the cycle....

betamed

I've always bought dry rock and seeded it with a small amount of live. IMO most local fish stores have overpriced rock and you should be fine buying online as long as its from a company with a good rep.

Anthony.Luciano

$10 a pound lol, You should go up to the owner and tell him thats really a ripoff. Here in NYC I usually see it for $5 a pound for Fiji and $8 a pound for into and dry rock usually for $2. I remember one store I went to that charged $13 a pound and I never went back again haha

Chas19

reefcleaners.org get their dry rock. Just got 50lbs last week and it is great. It is so much better than years ago when I bought some live rock

Fish Biscuit

Premium Aquatics!! I have not seen LR in any of my LFS that comes close to them for fully cured LR. You can use dry, but you will still need a small amount of live rock to seed the dry. Probably 5 or 10 # depending on how much you are putting in the tank.

Khemul

anyone have experience with liverockranch.com?

I haven't dealt with them directly, but have seen a few postings on forums where people were unhappy with them.

Be careful with anyone selling rock naturally cultured in Florida. It isn't that the rock is bad, but that the rock around here is very heavy and can range from solid to very porous. If you get a good piece then it is just a bit more expensive then other types. If you get a bad piece then it is a solid chunk of limestone and horrible compared to the other types. Online you don't necessarily know which type of pieces you will get.

coachtuk

I bought the 17lbs nano special from gulfliverock it was $60 shipped. It's awesome. Will get if from them every time. Reefcleaners is an awesome company. Great service, but I've only ordered cuc and macros from them.

Hal

I bought all of my LR from Premium Aquatics, but I did go in person to pick it up because I was in the area. Next time I'll just have them ship it. As you can see, I'd do it again.

I too worry a little about Florida rock. I've heard many people say it's pretty dense (bad), and has a much higher risk of mantis shrimp (very bad). For those reasons I tend to shy away from it.

splateee

Check to see if their is a saltwater club in your area. We have one and rock is always going for $2 to $3 per lb. Also check your local craigslist to see if someone is getting out of the hobby.

jeff@zina.com

Anyone else have any experience with reefcleaners.org????
Not the rock, but otherwise yes. Excellent customer service, great business to deal with. I've gotten my dry rock from Bulk Reef Supply, but wouldn't hesitate to use ReefCleaners. Marco Rocks is also decent.

Jeff

smellslikeTUNA

I got 50# of dry rock and 15# of live Fiji from MarcoRocks last week, both of the rocks are amazing and you can't beat the price! The Fiji is cheap, cured very well, and a great looking rock (all 3 large pieces I got are all unique). I have also heard good things about premium aquatics! Here's a couple pics of my initial scape with my rocks from marco rocks (scape has since changed, no pic yet tho)...

One piece of Fiji is not pictured, had it in my fuge

Todd_Sails

$10 a pound lol, You should go up to the owner and tell him thats really a ripoff. Here in NYC I usually see it for $5 a pound for Fiji and $8 a pound for into and dry rock usually for $2. I remember one store I went to that charged $13 a pound and I never went back again haha

The more expensive lfs here in Milwaukee, starts it's LR @ $10/lb, and goes up from there. I only bought seed rock, my Craigs list buy came with lots of good base rock.

The less expensive lfs I don't know what they charge, but just for a reference, I'm going to ask.