Live Rock question...

hanktrank

Hi,

I'm getting ready to start my first FOWLR tank and I was wondering once you get the live rock into the tank, do you guys recommend adding any chemicals to help the live rock or is it just sit and wait?

I'm new to this so sorry if that's a dumb question.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi anbosu,

No I was thinking of using cured live rock.....I just didn't know if I needed to add any chemicals\additives to help the live rock.

Thanks

I don't think so - just be patient and let the cycle run its course and you'll be good to go.

If the rock is cured (fully cycled) you might want to add pure ammonia to the tank and see how long it takes to break down into nitrates. You may not have a cycle at all with fully cured rock. If you added 3 ppm of ammonia and your readings dropped back to zero by the next day your tank is cycled and you would be able to add your CUC and first fish to the tank.

Where do you get the ammonia for this? I started with cured rock myself and have been ghost feeding for the last 5 days with no indication of ammonia rising.

I used cured live rock that had been in my tank for almost 3 years also with new well rinsed sand and new RO water in a 55 gallon tank almost ten dayss ago with no ghost feeding or shrimp and have yet to see any ammonia . So ill give it a few more days it may be a really short cycle.

Where do you get the ammonia for this? I started with cured rock myself and have been ghost feeding for the last 5 days with no indication of ammonia rising.

I got mine at the grocery store in the cleaner section. Pure ammonia, no additives or scents. If you shake it and it foams move on to another.

If the rock is fully cured and little to no die off between where you bought it and putting it in your tank you may not see any cycle.

I would advise to rinse with salt water rather than RO to avoid die off with live rock.

Back