Live Rock Suggestions

I still plan on visiting RM to check out the place. It looks like the have a great coral selection. I'm just not sure if I'll end up getting my rock there or not. The thought of receiving uncured rock with unknown critters on it has some appeal to me and I think that most of the rock at RM rock is already cured.

I already have a RO/DI system set up but being as I only live a few miles from the free UCSB saltwater source I may definitely give that a try also.

I will be filling the 18g nano tomorrow so it will be ready for the rock any time. I also can't wait until my custom 90 is ready but that will probably be another few months.

I see that Premium Aquatics is based out of IN. I know they are a quality company but ideally if I order rock I would want it shipped straight here from LA since I live so close to LA and all the Pacific rock comes in through LA anyway. That is part of the reason I was narrowing down my search to the Southern CA area.

You can order 20 kgs (44lbs) of uncured rock ahead of time from RM.. they will just pick up a box from Walt Smith Intl which is very good Prem Fuji stuff and med/large pieces. Almost no rubble. Without shipping it would probably run around $125.

Most uncurred rock is imported in 20kgs boxes, it might be too much for your 18g, unless you split it wilth someone!

Though... I would still handpick select pieces for a small tank.
Small shelf rock might be your better choice for a nano cube.

Thanks for the info Doug! Where in SoCal do you live? I'm glad I don't live closer to the larger LA stores or I'd be over there every week buying something!

Victorville, but grew up in Torrance. However I'm in the Los Angeles area about 2-3 p/month and been to most of the stores.

BTW... If you drive to Reefermadness, in the close vicinity is Pacific Reef in Torrance and Oscars Tropical Fish in Gardena (formerly Jeff's Tropical Fish). Both of these places are good for fish.

Thanks. I was aware of Jeff's/Oscar's and have been keeping an eye on the recent feedback regarding this place. I also see that reefhotspot.com is nearby as well. I have not been to Pacific Reef before. I'll definitely check it out when I make my trip down!

All in all, I love what I've been hearing about ReeferMadness and their business philosophy (they have a great website). I just wish that they had access to Marshall Island rock. I was told by an employee that they no longer get it.

Thanks scumonkey!

I checked out the pics of your custom tank. Looks awesome. What are the dimensions of your tank? What lighting are you using on it? It looks taller than most. It looks somewhat simililar to the 90g custom (30h x 30w x 20d) I will be setting up shortly.

Funny thing, livestockuse.org will not ship to me so I'm unable to order from them. Even though I live 90 miles from LAX where all the Marshall Island rock comes in they still won't ship it here. But supposedly all the rock comes from the same collector in the Marshall Islands anyway so I guess it comes down to which dealer has the best customer servise.

What are the dimensions of your tank? What lighting are you using on it? It looks taller than most. It looks somewhat simililar to the 90g custom (30h x 30w x 20d) I will be setting up shortly.
Thanks!
The tank is 36"L x 24"W x 30"H
I'm using 2 XM 10K 250W with 2 90W super actinic VHO's

supposedly all the rock comes from the same collector in the Marshall Islands anyway so I guess it comes down to which dealer has the best customer service.

I've heard the exact same thing....I'm trying to remember where.....
Oh YEAH....Livestock USA!!!! :D

TOTOKA ROCK is what you need to look in to getting lightest rock and best for the money....it is made up of dead acro's and others ...great coverage....and super shapes....

Why does everyone keep buying that heavy regular Fiji Rock...look into Totoka Live Rock ....This is THE nicest rock currently available to the industry and quite different from regular Premium Fiji Live Rock. Totoka rock is composed of lightweight, highly porous Pocillopora coral skeletons encrusted with coralline algae and growth. This rock has by far the best texture and lightweight of any rock available today.

I saw the Totoka live rock - $250 for $45lbs with standard shipping - except standard shipping wouldn't deliver fast enough for the amount of die-off...

Back