Live Rock

trwells

Sometime soon, probably in the middle of May, I will be purchasing live rock for my new 58g aquarium. The setup also contains a small refugium which may contain some smaller peices of rock. I am trying to decide what kind and how much rock I should get. I intend to go with a cured rock to speed up the cycle and am currently planning on ordering from premium aquatics. I am looking at both the fiji and marshall isalnd rock. I am curious if anyone has any experince with these rocks and/or the company. Also how much rock would you recomend if I want to keep a pretty open look. I like the look of open arches and caves, keeping more open space on the bottom of the tank for sand. I am also not a fan of "bubbly" looking rock that has smooth fingerlooking appendages. Any experience is appreciated.

Thanks

Forget the Fiji go with the MI!
MI rock is made of ancient Acropora coral heads and is loaded with coraline.Very porous and structurally open
Fiji rock is more dense and just looks more like bumpy rocks.

I can't comment on the other questions, but I can say I was impressed w/ PA's LR. My tank has about 10lbs. of the Marshall Is. This LR was bought by someone that lives close to PA's store. They had bought too much and wanted to unload some. The LR sat in his bathroom in a bucket w/ no light and no circulation for about a week while he tried to sell it. I bought it and he shipped it via USPS. We thought the rock would make it before the weekend (well it should have but USPS dropped the ball) but it didn't. Long story short, the rock spent almost a week in transit (I think it was six days). When I finally got the LR I feared it would be useless. There was alot of die-off and it was pretty bleached but it quickly recoporated. It wasn't long before the coralline started taking off and I started to see pods and critters growing on the rocks. After a few months it has turned out really nice. I can only imagine how great this stuff would have been if I had gotten it right from PA and it was shipped quickly. I'll bet the life on it would have been amazing. HTH.

I might try to look in your local RC forums for live rock. You can sometimes get a great deal from buying from someone who is breaking down there tank.

I bought 50 lbs of un-cured Fiji from them and was very happy.
The size and shape of the rock was great. Some of the larger pieces did break because of shipping but it worked out ok because I put the broken pieces in my fuge. Overall I was really happy with my purchase from PA and would recommend them to anyone.

Alright, I will ask around at a local club. However, I will be setting this up after moving so I won't be too involved with any clubs at the time. Thanks for the help. No one has any suggestions for how much to get?

Back