Livestock Availability?

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
The kids (well, they’re actually adults) know that I’m working on a tank upgrade. So, the three of them chipped in and got me a $200 gift certificate to LiveAquaria for Christmas. I’ve been browsing their site since and it seems their selection is very low. I haven’t looked at other vendors and wondering if this is just a LA issue or across the hobby?

Yeah, LA is useless…do not purchase from their California wholesaler. I’d suggest only getting Divers Den livestock, but preferably using a GC for food/equipment when it’s on sale.

Yeah, LA is useless…do not purchase from their California wholesaler. I’d suggest only getting Divers Den livestock, but preferably using a GC for food/equipment when it’s on sale.
That’s a shame to hear. They really went downhill with the Petco purchase. Was hoping since they split from Petco things had gotten better.

They have split from Petco but sold to a holding group. It seems they keep getting worse and getting cheaper (they’ve switched from foam boxes to using some cheap insulated bags that don’t have the same effect)

They have split from Petco but sold to a holding group. It seems they keep getting worse and getting cheaper (they’ve switched from foam boxes to using some cheap insulated bags that don’t have the same effect)

Well crap, my gift certificate I was hoping to use to stock the upgrade can only be used for dry goods I guess.

Well crap, my gift certificate I was hoping to use to stock the upgrade can only be used for dry goods I guess.
If I was to order livestock, I’d probably wait until spring/fall for stable temps in the 60s/70s just to be safe but that’s me

If I was to order livestock, I’d probably wait until spring/fall for stable temps in the 60s/70s just to be safe but that’s me
Oh yeah, that was the plan as the new tank isn’t ready yet. I was just “shopping” to get a list together of what I might want.

Last edited:
My wife just said to me-"you never spend that much on a coral".
I replied -"true but the $55 lottery winner helped out".
Watch out when you"win".

Hey griss, I am moving a bit off topic but what sort of upgrade are you thinking about?

Quite a few years ago, I had a 92 corner bowfront. It looked great in the store, but after some time I found it difficult to adequately light and maintenance was difficult.

So, in 2017, I bought a 40 breeder and a 75. The intent was to set the 40 up as a Caribbean tank and the 75 as Indo-Pacific.

I got the 40 going, but at the time our twins started college, One was 3 hours away and one 3.5 hours away. The boy twin was the one 3.5 hours away and was playing college football. With visits to both of them and to see his games, I never got the 75 set up.

Since they graduated, I’m finding more time for my tank. But, I didn’t want the maintenance of two tanks. So, I’m upgrading the 40 to the 75 that’s been sitting in my basement empty since 2017.

Quite a few years ago, I had a 92 corner bowfront. It looked great in the store, but after some time I found it difficult to adequately light and maintenance was difficult.

So, in 2017, I bought a 40 breeder and a 75. The intent was to set the 40 up as a Caribbean tank and the 75 as Indo-Pacific.

I got the 40 going, but at the time our twins started college, One was 3 hours away and one 3.5 hours away. The boy twin was the one 3.5 hours away and was playing college football. With visits to both of them and to see his games, I never got the 75 set up.

Since they graduated, I’m finding more time for my tank. But, I didn’t want the maintenance of two tanks. So, I’m upgrading the 40 to the 75 that’s been sitting in my basement empty since 2017.
That sounds very nice! Are you staying with the Caribbean theme? I found that I don't like maintaining two tanks either. As I get older, I am looking for easier aquaria.

I know what you mean about the corner bowfront tanks. I thought about buying a used one that was a display tank at the lfs I worked at. I was going to get it for a great deal but I decided against it for the reasons you stated. Being a maintenance tech for the lfs taught me that tanks look their best if maintenance is easy.

Hey, congrats on your boys graduating college. That no doubt has you breathing a sigh of relief, both in time and money! I know we sure did when our 3 boys finished colleges.

Yea California and Florida facility have always been terrible.

Wisconsin facility has always been great as well as diver den which is part of WI facility. The reason the WI was always good was Kevin Kohen ran that facility directly. He has retired now so in general Live Aquaria is not great. What always saved them was their live guarantee which was the best in the business so it was always worth the risk. Divers den and WI are still better but they are also lacking now.

Honestly all LA is now is mainly drop shipping from Quality marine wholesalers.

Griss if you are looking for Caribbean stuff the best place is KP Aquatics and Reeftopia is not too bad either.
They are also collectors so they can be allot cheaper since they collect themselves.

I agree with @shred5 about KP Aquatics. I have ordered fish from them as well as gorgs, sponges, inverts and macro algae. Nothing they have ever sent me was disappointing.

No one I know has any stock. My LFS or on line. I ordered one fish from LA and it was out of stock before I could get it, they refunded my money. Another place, one fish came in as ordered, the other was ordered as a small, but I was shipped a large. Good luck.

Responding to all the replies. I’m wanting to get back into Acros, but I also love R Florida. So the new tank is going to be a mixed reef both from type of corals and their geographical location.

I’m very familiar with both KP and Reeftopia. In fact my current rock is from KP and is so much like the old Fiji, Tonga, Marshall Is. We used to see in the hobby.

I’ll definitely check out Dr Reef after the upgrade, but I need to figure out what I’m going to do with this LA $220 gift card the kids gave me. I was hoping to spend it on livestock, but the feedback I’m hearing has me nervous. Might just use it for dry goods.

Well, I placed an order from Diver’s Den for an Acro frag, a Birdsnest frag and a Dipsastraea frag.

Then, get this email tonight. Really? You have two more Birdsnest frags in your website. You couldn’t call or email or just substitute? Not too happy with LA right now.

Attachments

• 5870E48B-8B90-4744-AB57-6EB3668D16F0.png
    5870E48B-8B90-4744-AB57-6EB3668D16F0.png
    663.1 KB · Views: 12
Ehh - The old store credit BS... come spend $100 more to use your $60 credit... don't forget the shipping ;)
No kidding. Just used my credit on frag plugs and filter socks. No more LA for me. If this wouldn’t have been a gift cert from my kids I wouldn’t have ordered from them anyway.

Back