Lobophora variegata - brown wafer algae

jjz_13

Premium Member
I posted this in the Advanced forum as well, but was wondering if anyone local had issues with this in the past and how you handled it.

This stuff is slowly spreading across the rocks in my tank. It took me a long time to figure out what it was, but I finally found it on wetwebmedia. Has anyone had any experience with this and how to take care of it?

Guys at wetwebmedia mention to just pull it out via tongs and tweezers, but everyone seems to agree that this doesn't really solve the problem. It just comes back. I've also read that a Naso Tang will sometimes take care of it or a foxface (Siganus Virgatus).

My nitrates and phosphates are both at zero. I don't currently have a test kit for silicates, but I'm not sure how I would have gotten silicates in my tank anyway.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

It looks like some of the algae I've had but mine didn't grown super fast so I used a brush and scrubbed it off. I have other algae that's much more of a problem and either the scrubbing worked or the other algae won the turf war.

Yeah - this one kinda won't come off with a brush. It's more like you have to peel it off. And if you let it go, I've read it will overgrow your corals...

Thanks for the reply.

Back