Local Collecting

Check with LIRA (Long Island Reefers). They have a collection trip every year. I think they are doing it Sept 18th this year.

Hey breachway,

I have personally snorkled to look at the local Sea horse Pop (which I found quite by accident). They are neat little guys and here in RI are protected from handling and or collecting as is all aquatics

. Everything that is legal to take here requires a lic. from fish to falconing. Most lic. are for Local Res. only exception hunting /fishing (non comm). and day permits for non res shellfish.

Permits are required to have any local wildlife of any kind and most are denined...

Keep it in mind. Big fines and forfieture of vehicles used (truck trailer/boats.) oh and there favorite crossing state lines..... Don't ask how I know please.

Ct has worst laws then us here for wildlife harbouring.

I should add I had an all local species display tank in my front window in the Stonington Borough downtown. It had in it from American Eels to spearing a baby horse shoe crab , Calico crabs , ocean perch a local bay scallop (that danced around click the glass all night). Also 4 .5" striped bass (from the back of St. Bernards high school up the thames). Oh yeah a half orange half green Lobster named FRed.....

It was quite the tank if you ever had the pleasure of passing my old residences. Until a bunch of drunken Fish and Wildlife people came wandering by off duty one night....

Lets just say there was a few tickets the next day after I told them to f off the night be for not knowing who they were.

Just keep them to your close friends. don't put it on the Interenet if you know what I mean.

I am going to set up a Biocube, bring back a pail of live sand from the Quonnie breachway, algae, hermits, minnow and what ever I can catch off fresh pond rocks in a hand net, seahorse?, pipefish in ninegret maybe, sponges from fosters cove. what do you think worth it or not?

I have no idea what you are talking about I don't have any friends and I am not hooked up to the internet. I don't even like fish

Keep in mind the bacterias you will be adding if you ues pond sand. you will most likely get a cyno bloom if you add local sands (straight in) rinse your sand (I bleached mine before adding. Crushed White Ag. is the show stopper for this stuff MHO.

Temp for tank can be picky, as salt ponds change temps dramatically w/ the tides. lower temps happy clams so to speak. Crabs and lobsters req. the chiller in the end. Oh yeah hermits are vicous meat eaters up in our parts and will take sleeping fish/worms anything they can catch but vwry active though.

Pipe fish and sea horses you will have to find on your own as I promised my dive buddy not to give up that info. If you do find some keep it to yourself. I will tell you that they were in more semi open water and not the salt ponds were I found them.

RI SNAILS reef safe?

RI SNAILS reef safe?

would the snails on the shore rocks be reef safe? if not why? im not sure what kind they are.just curious?

would the snails on the shore rocks be reef safe? if not why? im not sure what kind they are.just curious?

they are cold water snails so your tank would have to be 60 or less or they will just die and there is no way to tell if they have parasites

what about collecting sea lettuce for tangs and some macro algae for the sump. Anyone do that and I can't believe that would cause too much of a stir.

I can tell you the red macro algae that you see rolling in the breechway (by the ton) at Qounnie is the very same thing people were buying for cash at the Mohegan show from whats his nane.

Awsome in the refgium , you have to keep it from everything cause every critter eats it quick. Fireworms pods Hermits its unbelieveable the fighting that goes on to get to it.

I've been anchoring just north of Essex at on the CT River to swim and hang out. Last weekend jumping in after anchoring resulted in being COVERED in amphipods. They hurt when they bite!

After a while of swimming and brushing them off, I got tired of it and we moved upriver to a cove north of Chester. Lifting anchor, I had to shake the line to get them off, and dunk/dunk/dunk the anchor chain and anchor to get them off. Still wound up with a load of them in the boat. Crazy.

Well I think I will bring a couple of 5 gallon pails and bring some back for the sump/refuge. Let the tangs have a treat once in awhile. I still think I will set up my bio cube now and if I get a couple of hermit crabs and mummiechugs just to make it interesting. I mean what can it hurt.

Back