lolla rossa lettuce - poisonous?

simoncbarnes

Hi all

We have quite a few algae eaters in our tank. We put in a strip of either green or red algae (alternate days) and a large romaine lettuce leaf every day as well, and also a couple of spinach leaves. Its always all gone!

Anyway, my mum brought me some fancy lettuces the other day (was not very pleased when I said with great enthusiasum that my fish would love them!)

I know iceberg lettuce is toxic to many animals, so have never fed it to the fish, but I wondered if anyone knew weather lolla rossa or green leaf were okay for the fish? They love the romaine hearts lettuces, so it would be nice to give them something else too, but I wanted to check first.

Any advice would be appreciated! Even on other food suggestions! Oh, and by the way, my greedy fish are picky and will not touch purple seaweed, hair algae or cucumber!

Thanks guys!

Sarah & Simon

lettuces are "safe" as long as they are rinsed well, but they are basically devoid of nutrition. If your fish like lettuce they will probably love sushi nori (dried seaweed) and it is actually good for them, too. The Julian Sprung Sea Veggies is dried nori that is enriched with vitamins.

Romaine lettuce, spinach leaves and carrots are great and have lots of good nutrients, many large aquariums feed their fish these. Some people say that fish have trouble digesting the cellulose and you should microwave the lettuce first in a cup of water to break it down. Can't say anything about the others..

Hi guys,

Thanks for your quick replies. How do you prepare the carrot? Just cut it up thinly, raw, cooked?

We do already feed the preparred seeweed selections by julin sprung mixed see veggies and both red and green seaweed by seaweed selects + nori from Tesco!

We like to give them a good variety of foods so anything new is worth a try.

So back to the original question - Is lolla rosso lettuce poisonous like iceberg is?

Many thanks in advance,

Sarah and Simon

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11988182#post11988182 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by simoncbarnes
We like to give them a good variety of foods so anything new is worth a try.

Why? Nori is probably the best food there is. Your fish are not going to gain anything by giving them less nutritious foods. Personally I am not a big fan of giving marine life terrestrial foods when better options are available. I would just stick with the Sprung mixes and the nori. Your fish can live a long healthy life in captivity with these foods.

Back