Longest Wait to put in Fish

Daniel Reef

I would like to know what is the longest time that I can wait to put in fish after I put in the live rock. I know that my finances will be tight once I buy the equipment and live rock and I didn't want to mess things up by not having fish.

extremeshocks

Many people have tanks with no fish at all like a reef only. You should be fine with no fish for a long time i would think. Just check your parameters.Good luck

jenjen

You'll be fine without fish, just make sure when you do start adding them you do it slowly.

Indymann99

I waited 3 mo with LR and LS only in the tank, before adding my first fish.

I ran the tank as normal with skimmer and 10hr photoperiod.

you will be surprised at the amount of life that will come from the LR. After a few weeks there will be all sorts of little creatures. :rollface:

reefaddictionrx

Completely agree with Indymann. I had my 72 up for about 3-4 months and had tons of copepods/serpent stars/and even a live muscle that opened up on the back of a piece of previously dried live rock.

Rangereefer

You never need fish they are a distraction from your beautiful corals! j/k...really the live rock will be fine without any fish for a long long time...may want to look into some snails though to keep the glass clean ;)

Daniel Reef

If things go okay, I plan on buying the equipment and getting it in mid/late January, then take a month or two to put everything together, but the liverock and live sand in late March/early April. But I probably won't be able to afford buying any fish or coral until December. That will be an eight month wait. So it sounds like the tank will be okay. I will just plan on buying the CUC and save for that.

ChadTheSpike

Reef Engineer
That works out really well actually... I generally recommend that nothing beyond LR and a CUC goes into the tank for six months... although I dont know anyone but me that follows that advice!!!