Looking for 2 types of Monti Cap - Figured I should go local if I could

bradleym

Premium Member
I have 2 types of Monti Cap on my "hit list" that I didn't see at the swap and I was wondering if someone had seen them around or had a colony to share from. I know these two are commonly sold online, but I would rather NOT ship a poker chip sized frag overnight if I could help it.

The first will be the toughest: Tyree LE Flower Petal Montipora

It has a green surface with blue and white polyps, and a purple growth edge. This picture is what I am after. I had a frag in my last tank and it looked EXACTLY like the one on this site. Unfortunately, that tank died a horrible death, along with all my LPS and SPS, so I am after a new one since my new tank is doing well.
limited_montiporaflowerpedal_colony.jpg

The second is more common. Maybe it's a little TOO common, and that's why I didn't find it on sunday. Idaho Grape Montipora

It's pretty much how it sounds; it's a monti that is the color of grape jelly. I've never had it before but have always wanted to try it.
idaho%20grape.JPG

I understand that there will be color variations in different tank conditions. These pics are of the corals I am looking for in the best of conditions. If anyone happens across one or the other, I would appreciate a heads up, and if you have some to sell, even better. Thanks all for looking!

I checked with rbnice1 already and he said he lost the Tyree colony. I did post in the Idaho Grape thread though. Thanks.

While posting on the CDP board is fine, I've always found it most efficient to PM here on RC, not just the original donor but also past recipients. I believe there are still two listed with surving flower petal caps. You may want to shoot them a PM.

Mr D smack has informed me that his is not ready to cut yet. I am waiting on a reply from rbnice1 now.

Last edited:
Sounds good Bradley,

BTW, we try to keep the specifics (user names and such) off this board and in the CDP Forum or thru PMs. This helps to keep non-SLASH members from potentially contacting a Donor and exploiting the system. Though, I've made the same mistake myself in the past ;)

While posting on the CDP board is fine, I've always found it most efficient to PM here on RC, not just the original donor but also past recipients. I believe there are still two listed with surving flower petal caps. You may want to shoot them a PM.

Just to clarify, I am looking for the Tyree flower petal as described in the CDP. There are a couple of other flower petal monti caps out there, I just want the one kind. :)

As far as I can tell, one frag of that went out and is now dead, as well as the original colony, so I think that will be the toughest one to find.

Ok, I have received responses from all CDP members with these 2 corals and the ones that have them don't have enough for fragging, so as before, if anyone finds them or has them, let me know please. Thanks.

I'll send you a pic of my grape. It's a very fast grower and I could snap of a piece for you through CDP if you want it.

here's a pic of mine. When I bought it I was told it was Idaho Grape but who knows. The center is not as dark as your picture but the rim is white. I have it up high in my tank under a lot of light, 250w MH, Reefbrite LEDs and T5's. Let me know if you want a piece. Funny thing is I broke a piece of a week ago and haphazardly tossed it up on the rocks. Snails must have knocked it to the back because I can't find it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1
Mkart,

Nice pic, you should post it in the thread on the CDP forum and let others know its available... if it is?

Haha nice. Well that's what I'm looking for so yea I would love to get a piece of it, and this is my first CDP item, so I should have points.

FWIW, I heard monti caps get lighter in color under brighter lights, so if you get bored, try sticking a peice to a rock 6+ inches down in the tank and see how it does. I haven't tested this theory, but it sounds good. :)

I'll snap some off tonight and mount it. Let's wait a week to heal to be sure it's in good shape. If I can get more I'll place them in the CDP for others.

Back