Looking for a new external return pump.. random power outage. dead controller again

m0nkie

Another random power outage. Another broken RD controller!

this time the main return pump on my big tank.

need an external return pump for around 600gal. quiet is best.
this current pump is about 2700gal per hr.

Last edited:
that.... or probably because I bought all those RD about the same time. and they are going down 1 by 1....

I saw the title of this thread and thought someone must have brought back one of your threads lol

I have 3 RD230s running and have had controller problems with each of them over the years. (Sleif was very helpful, but nothing was free) The ones set to 0-10v control fry the most frequently. I now have them on a good surge protector which may have helped - the last fried controller happened a couple of years ago. But I wouldn't buy another one.

The next one that goes is going to be replaced with an Abyzz. That 10-year warranty makes it worth the extra money.

WOW you have such horrible luck with the RD pumps

He isn't an outlier, I've heard several of these stories from several RD owners over the years.

AS far as UPS, APC is plenty good. You could go Eaton but don't need to. Even minuitman or Wbox are just fine for what you need, which is to protect your equipment and an hour or two of runtime.

You can PM me and I'll see what kind of price I can get you on a 2KVA Wbox, they are rather affordable and way more than you need.

Very sorry to read. I don't think it helps when most Royal Exclusive problems are scrubbed off their forum once resolved. its like they attempt to hide all of their problems. No pumps or controllers are perfect and we should all have a back up in place at the end of the day.

Very sorry to read. I don't think it helps when most Royal Exclusive problems are scrubbed off their forum once resolved. its like they attempt to hide all of their problems. No pumps or controllers are perfect and we should all have a back up in place at the end of the day.

So true about the backup. We have 2 on rotation that is always available and we switch them out like spare tires as we clean them. Because when you need it, it can't wait another day.

I'm tempted to buy a bunch of Jebao DCT 15000... $150 on amazon. i have a few of the smaller ones on the 60gal tank and working perfectly.

even if i break one per year... it's $1500 for 10 years.. cheaper than 1 Abyzz..

hmmm

I'm tempted to buy a bunch of Jebao DCT 15000... $150 on amazon. i have a few of the smaller ones on the 60gal tank and working perfectly.

even if i break one per year... it's $1500 for 10 years.. cheaper than 1 Abyzz..

hmmm

You'll be surprise . I'm going on 3 years for jeabo. their pumps are solid. most likely the same manufacturer as other DC pumps with similar looks.

hmmm

Check the flow curve for the jaebos. I tried one and it could not keep up with the RD3. I think I was getting maybe 1000 gph to the display with a long run and 5' rise using 1.5" pipe. It's only 105w compared to the 230 on the RD and the 200 on the Abyzz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the price I would go with the 20000 and dial down using the controller.

1800 and 2000 looks to be the same pump, just higher wattages. I have both.

At MD Fluval SP6 for super cheap, they also have an impeller on sale, almost everyone I heard stated that the pump is too much for a 300-gallon tank, so it might work on yours.

At MD Fluval SP6 for super cheap, they also have an impeller on sale, almost everyone I heard stated that the pump is too much for a 300-gallon tank, so it might work on yours.

Only complaint I have is that dinky power cord thats attached to it. Any askoll motored pumps will work; Fluval, Laguna, red Dragon,.:lol:

hmmm

Yup...Sometimes same day on the shipping with Prime. Order in the morning and it's at the doorstep by the afternoon. Can't even get to the fish store that quickly for an emergency replacement.

^^^^ I used to have a GFI if you lost power it would not turn back on unless you pushed the button, this could save your pumps.

Back