Looking for Advice on Lighting upgrade

Humby81

Looking to upgrade LEDs for SPS/LPS/clams. I currently have a 180 gallon tank (72X24X25) and am looking to upgrade from two 36 inch current satellite orbit marine LEDs. Looking for something in the value price range but that can grow SPS better (LPS has done really well with the currents). Any suggestions? I have heard reef breeders makes some good LEDs at a reasonable price range. Thoughts?

Yes reefbreeders makes good "lower cost" products that perform well..

Many are also just going with "Chinese Black Box" LED fixtures from amazon/ebay..
mars aqua, galaxy hydro,etc.. They are roughly $80-100 a piece (a bit more for wifi,etc..) and seem to perform just fine..

3 or 4 would work just fine on your tank and allow you to grow everything..
It wouldn't be a bad idea to also add a single t5 to supplement the LEDs and help with growth/self-shading,etc...

the current orbits will not give enough light

i would go with sb reef lights if i was going to buy budget led lights

2 32" units for 6ft tank

I agree, stay away from Current Orbit's. You will not grow anything except incredibly easy softies in that tank.

I've ran the older models of Reefbreeders over my SPS Dominant 75. Needless to say, my acro's exploded. I could only imagine what the newer upgraded models could do!

Here are two Reebreeders Photon 24" Over my 75 gallon; this is 3 months difference.
Note: Some corals like my Hollywood Stunner are smaller in the second picture since I had to frag some since they grew too large too quick.

Here are 2 new RB Photon V2 fixtures over my tanks. I love them! Having 6 channel control makes getting the color you want so easy!

I am considering the Galaxyhydro LED to replace a 250m MH over a 35 Hex reef.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00INM0J1...TF8&colid=3BFDSUCZDNLMA&coliid=I1TSGDU14RL1B0

If I modify my existing hood to house it, the fixture would be 6" to 7" above the water surface.
Is this too close to the water for this fixture (regarding moisture exposure)?

The hood is a custom made wood hex shape and fully open at the top so there is good air circulation.

The lens appear to be 120 degree.
Would this provide adequate light dispersion at 6"?

The sand bed is about 19" below the water surface.
Does this type/power LED fixture offer good light penetration?
How might it compare to 250w MH?

I am now only growing LPS and soft corals.

Thanks

I am considering the Galaxyhydro LED to replace a 250m MH over a 35 Hex reef.

Would this provide adequate light dispersion at 6"?
The sand bed is about 19" below the water surface.
Does this type/power LED fixture offer good light penetration?
How might it compare to 250w MH?

I am now only growing LPS and soft corals.

Over a 35g hex it should be just fine.

At 19" deep you'll have to run this a bit lower power than over a deeper 24" tank. I'd recommend you start at 50% blue and 30% white (given you have 250w MH now) and ramp up the blue to 70 or 80% blue and add white to get the warm or cool white look you want.

It won't shimmer like a MH. It will have deeper shadows than a MH (even with 120 degree lenses). With just 2 red and 2 green leds it will have a disco effect (shadows will have red or green edges). I put black electrical tape over them on my 2 channel lights. But they will provide enough PAR to grow sps if you want (just as much as your MH). It should run WAY cooler than your MH. And it will pay for itself in just a couple of MH bulb replacements!

Thanks, Ron.

It looks like this might be the right way to go. I'm also looking at a Sunspect unit on EBay mentioned in another thread. With the price of these you really can't go wrong. If I don't like it I can go back to MH and not lose much - although I'll miss the shimmer!

I'm thinking about buying a simpler unit with two cords. The fixture will not be visible once installed in my hood, so no direct line-of-sight for the remote(if it needs that). I re-wired the MH pendant when I bought it so I could control the PC actinics and the MH with separate light timers. I could do the same with the "black box" units and have all the "effects" I need.

Aside from no dimmer control knobs to go bad is there any other advantage to the remote versions?

Thanks, Ron.

It looks like this might be the right way to go. I'm also looking at a Sunspect unit on EBay mentioned in another thread. With the price of these you really can't go wrong. If I don't like it I can go back to MH and not lose much - although I'll miss the shimmer!

I'm thinking about buying a simpler unit with two cords. The fixture will not be visible once installed in my hood, so no direct line-of-sight for the remote(if it needs that). I re-wired the MH pendant when I bought it so I could control the PC actinics and the MH with separate light timers. I could do the same with the "black box" units and have all the "effects" I need.

Aside from no dimmer control knobs to go bad is there any other advantage to the remote versions?

Only difference is the ability to set an on/off time for each channel which you can do with a manual timer. It looks like all of the $100-$200 LEDs don't have your sunrise/sunset simulations available in that price range if you go digital which would be the biggest difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have xr30 pro gen 3 radions , I would highly recommend. I have softy's, LPS but no SPS but that's my next step, overall the best lights on easy to set up, you'll want the reeflink for sure. I would buy used nothing older then gen 3, I have the wide angle on both my lights over my 4ft 80gallon set up.

I have xr30 pro gen 3 radions , I would highly recommend. I have softy's, LPS but no SPS but that's my next step, overall the best lights on easy to set up, you'll want the reeflink for sure. I would buy used nothing older then gen 3, I have the wide angle on both my lights over my 4ft 80gallon set up.

Budget, budget, budget!

Back