looking for an LED upgrade

Maverick2112

I have a 200 gallon reef tank L= 72", W=23", D= 30". Populated with all types of corals. I have basically been running this thing on autopilot for a few years with the help of a local guy. I know, probably not the best idea but I'm raising a family of 5 and I love the tank so it was either that or get rid of it. Either way I'm told i'm now getting to the end of the life of my current light fixture (T5 with 4x80w aquablue, and 2x80w actinic) and I should upgrade to an LED if possible. The guy who is helping me said he would do it but it would cost $2700. I asked what that very large investment involves and he said 3 radion gen 4 pro lights with 3 hanging kits. Seems to me this is the very extreme high end of the price range but given how fast the LEDs have changed I have lost track. He also says that most manufactures don't do T5 anymore and that doesn't track with my research.

Does anyone have some other ideas for a smaller budget? Any comments would help too.

LED is trendy and thus very expensive, unless going Chinese.

T5 is very much alive, hell even metal halide is having somewhat of a revival.

What is wrong with your T5 fixture? If you want an upgrade, pick up an ATI Sunpower for a fraction of the cost.

Mitras LX 7 is 1 of the best & I think it sells for $750.
3 would save you $550.
The 30 inch depth should be the determining factor in my opinion.

If anything there are more choices for T5 than there used to be... if you want them, still a great choice.

But LEDs are nice, with some benefits... he just happened to recommend a top tier light that sits at the top of the price range, which is compounded with large tanks due to relatively "small" coverage per device. But that doesn't mean they are a waste, just depends on your budget and if you like the benefits...

If you can afford it, I think it is a good choice for LED lighting.

Last edited:
Mitras LX 7 is 1 of the best & I think it sells for $750.
3 would save you $550.
The 30 inch depth should be the determining factor in my opinion.

Guessing some of that $550 ($300 with Radions) is the guys labor and hanging hardware etc.. :spin1:

Last edited:
You could go with a ATI Powermodule or a Giesmann Aurora and have one of the best hybrids out there IMO. If you wanting to switch to straight up LED I might look at the new Maxspect RSX.

Much thanks

Much thanks

Thank you all very much! All great ideas

Just to clarify, the man who helps me did also put in his quote the hardware for hanging and installation. I don't think he is trying to rip me off, and I do want to pay people for their work. He just wants to put in the best that he knows and what has worked in the past, plus there is the depth of the tank to consider. I also want to start taking a more active part in the tank, like I used to. All you advice gives me a great place to start.

You really can't go wrong with the Gen 4 Radions. One of the best LEDs on the market right now. T5s are definitely not dated though.. I still run them and I've switched back to them from Radions.

$2,700 isn't a bad price for 3 brand new Gen 4s, the rail, slides, and mounting kit. Those parts alone will run about $2,600, so he's charging you $100 for installation and setup, not a bad price at all in my opinion.

LED is trendy and thus very expensive, unless going Chinese.

T5 is very much alive, hell even metal halide is having somewhat of a revival.

What is wrong with your T5 fixture? If you want an upgrade, pick up an ATI Sunpower for a fraction of the cost.

There is one ballast that is not working, I've repaired ballasts before but not in aquarium lighting, I can't imagine it is that different as long as I have the right parts though. The cost of the bulbs is also an issue in this for long term, and the cost of the energy to run them. Although that electric bill is one I choose when getting into this, I suppose I was looking at how to cut that in the future.

The Orphek Atlantik V4s look pretty impressive. Two would work and they're on sale now for $899 each. Other choice is Hydra 26HDs but they have a pretty narrow lense so you need quite a few. Other than that, find some lightly used Radion Gen 3 Pros or someone selling Gen 2s or Gen 1s then upgrading them to Gen 3 pros.

looking for an LED upgrade

I think a aquatic life t5 hybrid and led of your choice is best of both worlds. I notice a lot more polyp extension since adding the t5s. Btw for your size tank same as mine I think 4 would cover it better than 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Take a look at the Reef Breeders Photon V2. Two 32" fixtures will cover your tank, give you enough PAR to grow almost anything, even at 30" (it has some 5 watt blue and white leds along with a lot of 3 watt leds). They are $500 each, so $1000. They come with hanging kits and with legs. The install should be quite simple, especially if you use the legs. And they are about the slimmest fixture on the market and they run super cool. They have 6 channels of color control and full sunrise/sunset control. What more could you ask for?

Here are mine:

Keep an eye on the Dry Goods for Sale section on this forum. Lots of quality LED's going up weekly and some are great deals.

Not to repeat, but what is wrong with your existing t5? If you are currently running 2 actinic and 4 aquablue special the tank must be fairly yellow. Have you thought about changing up the bulb combo? ( Look here for ideas https://www.atinorthamerica.com/faq.php I use 2 actinic and 2 coral plus bulbs in my 4 bulb maybe something like 2 actinic, 2 coral+, a blue+, and an aquabluespecial, still white but much better florscent response.)
If I had grown out a tank for years under t5 I would be hesitant to switch personally. Even if the ballasts were going bad it is a quick swap in most fixtures.

Last edited:
Black boxes are cheap. Radions best though but pricey

In your opinion what makes Radions the best? Is it just that they cost 7 to 8 times more than a basic black box led? Or even 2 or 3 times more than a Photon V2 which also has sunrise/sunset and 6 channel color control (and looks better as well)?

I do not use LEDs at all, but there are a few other choices that I would choose over Radions if I was forced to switch. Price is no factor for me either... if they all cost the same, I would get just about any wide-panel before I would get a Radion. I would get some with lots of diodes in the 360 to 370nm and some about 800-825. Atlantic V4 is the only one doing this now, but all of the will follow suit - they can sell more units with the "upgrades" or "changes."

OP - I would just fix the T5 and keep on using it. It is no certainty that you will be "upgrading" and you might just be changing. If you are happy, then stick with them. If you cap the cost of the Radions (or any fixture) at about five years, you can buy a lot of bulbs for the cost of new panels.

Also, if you have larger colonies, the Radions will cast shadows. This is not always an issue, depending on the coral, but it can be. Some folks need to use more than one point-source LED over a 2x2 area... some don't mind at all.

Back