Looking for info on Emerald Crabs

SPCLMANAGE

I bought two emerald crabs that were the same size (the red colored ones though) from RC a few months ago. They both are doing very well and one seems to be growing exponentially faster. It has molted two to three times more than the other and keeps doubling in size. I know emeralds come in various color variations but I have never seen one grow as big as the one I have now. My question is whether or not a large one poses a threat to inverts, fish or corals? It is only eating algae (as it should) now but is approximately 1.5"-2" body with 2" claws. If I'm able to get a pic a will. Anyone have experience with very large Emeralds?

I have 3 1 green small 1 red small and another red very big I have had no problems they all eat algae and whatever I feed my fish. None of them bug corals or fish

They will knock things over and still scavenge meaty foods

agreed. I have never seen mine eat algae though. mostly meaty remnants from messy fish. Mine have only molted once in about 7 months. The only crabs I have seen grow that fast are gorilla crabs. Sure you got emeralds? A buddy of mine bought what he though was a baby emerald....boy was he wrong. took 4 months to get it out of the tank.

i have a big pink one from RC, i feed him with the turkey baster and he comes out to eat just like the fish do. I think he nipped at a mushroom for a second but didnt bother anything after that. He seems to love Tifs food! He comes running when ever he sees the baster :)

I had an emerald that liked mushrooms and snails. It was the larger of the 2 emeralds. The smaller one was peaceful and sometimes ate bryopsis.

Hard to say. Need to look at the claws. If they end in points then they will at some point attack fish. I had a few get aggressive towards my wrasses at night when they got 2" or so. Wounded more than one. One took out my small pistol shrimp. Had to take them all out. Weeelll actually it was more like when I treated the tank for redbugs I made no attempt to take them out and let interceptor do the job.

^ouch harsh. I dont see why they would get aggressive unless they weren't being fed or able to find anything in the tank to eat.

Oh they were getting fed. Emeralds are known for being algae, valonia, eaters early then when they get big turn omnivorous.

I have an emerald who will climb up the rockwork to get to a patch of halimeda and then systematically remove bits off and eat them. Its pretty entertaining when I can catch him at it.

If I get the chance I'm just going to move it to the sump. I would rather not take the chance of it getting a hold of any fish or invert. I hope to get a clear pic so I can show just how big this guy is. It definately is an Emerald and not a gorilla crab because of the claw structure.

Back