Looking for port forwarding for dummies

john08007

I just took my apex classic out of the closet where it has been sitting for years. I am able to connect to it via my computer by typing in the apex's ip address. On the head unit it says fusion:down. I believe the next step is the port forwarding on my modem to access it via my phone. I have an arris sbg-6700-ac modem. The gateway for the port forwarding seems like it is asking for more info than the apex instructions says to do. Is there any other info available about this subject?

If Fusion isn't able to connect and you already had this setup on Fusion before you put it in storage, I would guess it's likely something in your network settings that is causing it. If you are running it though a wireless gaming adapter, the first thing I would try would be to connect it to your router via a wired connection. Then try logging into to Fusion again. If it's set to static IP, change it to DHCP. Then try logging into Fusion again. If that doesn't work, update the firmware making sure to also update the www files. Then revisit Fusion again. If that doesn't work, do a factory reset. Then connect it to your network. Then go to the network settings page and Enable Fusion and Enable Fusion Control. Then then copy the Fusion token and log into your Fusion account and add the token.

If it's connected to your network properly then you should be able to get Fusion working and not need port forwarding. That said, every router is different so a port fowarding for dummies isn't that simple. And frankly, rather than struggling with port forwarding, I would spend the time and figure out why Fusion isn't working. Fusion adds a lot of value/features to the Apex and programming that you won't get from port forwarding. If all else fails, open a support ticket with Neptune. They will help you get Fusion back up and running.

Last edited:
Ive never used it before , i was always scared that.it was.gonna be too complicated. There arent a whole lot of youtube videos on how to setup the forwarding. I will try taking.some screenshots of my gateway tomorrow.

Ive never used it before , i was always scared that.it was.gonna be too complicated. There arent a whole lot of youtube videos on how to setup the forwarding. I will try taking.some screenshots of my gateway tomorrow.

Did you but this Apex new? If not, you may need to perform a factory reset on it as it could be linked to somebody elses Fusion account. There are plenty of videos on youtube for setting up Fusion and there is also instructions in the comprehensive reference manual. Setting up Fusion is FAR easier than dealing with port forwarding.

Yes, this was brand new, never used. I thought the port forwarding was necessary to access it remotely via fusion. It is hardwired to my internet through a Ethernet cable. I tried to attach a screenshot of what the gateway looks like for port forwarding. I believe on the local ip i put the ip address that i found on my apex. The advanced network guide says to put 9900 to 80, i tried putting 9900 in the 2 external spots on the left, 80 under my apex ip address, protocall both, hit enable but it didnt seem to work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190308-001450.jpg
    Screenshot_20190308-001450.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 2
After a quick call to neptune, they said port forwarding is no longer needed now that fusion is out. They also dont recommend it because it makes you vulnerable to a cyber attack. He said i would need to.sunmit a ticket and they will figure it out. After i hung up i started to tinker some more, i updated the firmware to the latest version. After this the apex changed from fusion:down to fusion: no comm to fusion with a token. I put the token in my fusion and works perfect. Thankyou for the help, personally i think neptune or someone should put together a better guide since their advamced network guide still says you need to do the port forwarding.

After a quick call to neptune, they said port forwarding is no longer needed now that fusion is out. They also dont recommend it because it makes you vulnerable to a cyber attack. He said i would need to.sunmit a ticket and they will figure it out. After i hung up i started to tinker some more, i updated the firmware to the latest version. After this the apex changed from fusion:down to fusion: no comm to fusion with a token. I put the token in my fusion and works perfect. Thankyou for the help, personally i think neptune or someone should put together a better guide since their advamced network guide still says you need to do the port forwarding.

Yep. As I said, no need for port forwarding with Fusion. Port forwarding was only needed for remote access prior to Fusion and as I said, Fusion is far more powerful than the classic interface when it comes to most programming.

There is a good guide for getting Fusion setup in the compressive reference manual which I referenced in a previous post. It's also covered in the Classic Apex Get Started Guide on Neptunes website. Both can be found here.
https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/apexclassic/

Either way, I am glad they got you squared away.

Back