Looking for quick advice on butterfly with red gills and gasping at surface!!!!

Aquariumlover65

Please HELP!!! My yellow butterfly is at the surface and not looking good. She's got red gills and the others started picking at her. I moved her to the sump for now. All other fish and all but one coral are well, recent starfish death and leather coral is having some issues. Please respond before it's too late.

I have no idea...as I don't even have a tank set up yet.

But after reading this forum for several weeks, I know the first questions are going to ask for tank parameters such as temp, pH, alkalinity, salinity, specific gravity, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and such......

I bet pictures of your tank might be helpful too.

Tim

What are your parameters? Could be ich as it affects the gills. Any white spots on the fish? Could be ammonia or some other chemical in the water that could burn the gills or inflame them. What's your pH? ammonia?

Parameters are all very normal, and I've got a Emperor angel and several softies that generally tell all when there's a problem. Amonia was my first thoughts but only trace amounts tested. I was stating to think bacteria? My 10" leather has had some issues recently and may be parishing. Other all other leathers and LPS are perfect though.

What is a "trace amounts" of ammonia? The actually numbers would be very helpful. Not to come across as hard, but your "very normal" and others could be very different. If you leather is dying, that will effect the parameters.

PH is up to 8.6 - I guess I know what's happening now. Any home remedies for lowering PH, I've only ever had to raise it. Damn Ammonia.

You can use white vinegar but I don't know at what proportion. Try a few ml to start but put it in a high flow area away from any corals/inverts.

Back