Looking for someone to drill 2 !' holes in a 10gal

Z1313

Hello looking to have a 10 gallon tank drilled for a refugium I need 2 holes for a 1" bulkhead. Anyone know where to go : )

CHris at discount will let you borrow the bit .... if i was there this wknd I'd do it for you! I am a pro!!! drilled a 1.5" hole in a 1/8" piece of glass hahaha.... I was shitting my pants the entire time i was doing it!

all the LFS i have talked to about it said they wouldnt do it. i ordered a glass holes and drilled my 20 long with no problem. a 10 is a little thin so go slow and let gravity do the work

Been there done that.

Problem is a lot of the newer 10 gallon tanks are tempered. I used a $12 walmart tank to practice and no matter what I tried. it would shatter.

I found an older 10 gallon tank that wasn't tempered and it drilled fine.

Does anyone know an easy way to tell if glass is tempered?

Bob

Been there done that.

Problem is a lot of the newer 10 gallon tanks are tempered. I used a $12 walmart tank to practice and no matter what I tried. it would shatter.

I found an older 10 gallon tank that wasn't tempered and it drilled fine.

Does anyone know an easy way to tell if glass is tempered?

Bob

They should say if they are or nor on a tag or sticker.

10 gallons can be tough anyway because the glass is so thin.

We are putting together a glass hole saw collection for rentals for AZ FRAG club members. We do not have a 2" saw tho.

The aqueon tanks aren't tempered for sure. Not sure about the top fin or other brands. With smaller tanks, Clamp a piece of wood behind the pane you are drilling, it will help dampen the vibrations and less chance of breaking through the other side. I have drilled lots of 10g, 5g and those little 2.5g tanks this way and never broke one.

The aqueon tanks aren't tempered for sure. Not sure about the top fin or other brands. With smaller tanks, Clamp a piece of wood behind the pane you are drilling, it will help dampen the vibrations and less chance of breaking through the other side. I have drilled lots of 10g, 5g and those little 2.5g tanks this way and never broke one.

Duct tape on the inside of tank helps keep the glass from chipping when going through the glass.

I agree with both of these methods.... also get some plumbers putty and make a well around the hole you plan on drilling to keep the water around the drill bit and to also make sure you drill the hole where you want it and not letting it slip!

Back