Looking for toby puffer safe reef additions

reefgoddess808

Hello!
I have a 56 gal FOWLR tank, I am hoping to add corals soon. What are the best corals to keep with a toby puffer? I have a small blue dot toby, I have recently added a hermit crab and two mexican turbos. He seemed very interested in the snails the first day I got them but has now left them alone. He doesnt bother the hermit crab at all. I also have a foxface lo, coral beauty and ocellaris clown. Sand substrate, man made decorations and about 10 lbs of live rock with plans to add an additional 20 lbs. I have heard that mushrooms, leather and colony polyps are best.

Attachments

• 481200_10200841488427920_915372718_n.jpg
    481200_10200841488427920_915372718_n.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0

small alien

The fungus is among us.
It's is not what you asked, but a black background on your tank would make a huge difference in how it looks. I use flaxseed oil smeared on a plastic sheet of backdrop and it works great. Just sticks right on there. Your could also tape it on. Good luck with your tank.

reefgoddess808

Thanks for the input! I have mixed feelings about a back for the tank. Im hoping to fill in the emptiness with live rock. I looked into anemones and from what I understand they are not very easy to maintain so Im going to hold off on those for now. Hoping to add some mushrooms, maybe the lavender and a few colony polyps soon.

Terrance

I have heard of toby puffers munching on corals during my puffer addict days and I tracked those cases when browsing forums.

Soft corals has a higher chance for success for a puffer tank, not guaranteed though. You're basically risking any corals with a puffer. It might work well for a few weeks, months, or maybe even years. Its like you're rolling the dice everyday.

Also one of these days, your puffer will figure out how tasty the snail and hermits are.

Good luck and post if you have any certain questions

whodeydan76

+1 on a black background and adding more live rock...u will be stunned at the difference. I use store bought window tint doubled up on my tanks.
Corals are endless...mushrooms, button polyps, Kenya trees, hammers, frog spawn, Xenia (isolated from main rock work), leathers, Duncans, ect...
I am curious to see what comes of this because I would love to add a porcupine puffer to my tank. I like the columms in your tank...I never see artificial decor in Sw set ups. Kind of gives it a different feel.
Good luck :)

reefgoddess808

+1 on a black background and adding more live rock...u will be stunned at the difference. I use store bought window tint doubled up on my tanks.
Corals are endless...mushrooms, button polyps, Kenya trees, hammers, frog spawn, Xenia (isolated from main rock work), leathers, Duncans, ect...
I am curious to see what comes of this because I would love to add a porcupine puffer to my tank. I like the columms in your tank...I never see artificial decor in Sw set ups. Kind of gives it a different feel.
Good luck :)

Thanks! I have added some more live rock and rearragned things a bit. I recently added a protein skimmer which has tinted my water black :( So once I get that cleared up Ill post some more pics, it's really starting to come together. I plan on adding some mushrooms in the front on the rock and some polyps on the columns.