Looking to install a filter roller and need ideas

Johnic

Premium Member
I’ve been thinking about how to accomplish this for some time but never did anything yet. I have a 3 filter sock system that works but I get lazy and don’t change them sometimes for 2 plus weeks and I want to install a Filter roller in the sump but need some ideas.

Some initial ideas:
- Cut out all the existing acrylic internals and create one open area to install the filter roller. But concerned about the bracing it offers currently to stop the 1/2 acrylic from bowing.
- Just install the filter roller that gets installed into the sock but I heard that system sucks

Any other thoughts on how to accomplish this and what filter roller would work here and fit?
See pics of current setup.

thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Can you just remove the lid on the first chamber and just have a reefmat roller filter sit on top of the first chamber? You can directly connect the reefmat inlet to tank drain.

Can you just remove the lid on the first chamber and just have a reefmat roller filter sit on top of the first chamber? You can directly connect the reefmat inlet to tank drain.
The lid is just laying there so I can take it off. Doesn’t the roller need to sit in the sump ?

Not necessarily. If you can't hang it on the first chamber, have the rollermat hang near the skimmer area. If you look at the design it drains from the filter material to the bottom of the rollermat.

Attachments

• 233000-redsea-reefmat-500-fleece-roller-filter-filtration-cv4.jpg
    233000-redsea-reefmat-500-fleece-roller-filter-filtration-cv4.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 15
Not necessarily. If you can't hang it on the first chamber, have the rollermat hang near the skimmer area. If you look at the design it drains from the filter material to the bottom of the rollermat.
Still trying to see how I can fit the Red Sea filter roller in my sump. The filter roller is so damn big. I have 9.5 inches clear from skimmer to side of sump.

Attachments

• C1151207-A834-4BFF-80EE-339F72486E42.jpeg
    C1151207-A834-4BFF-80EE-339F72486E42.jpeg
    861.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Got it done and I’m loving it. While I had the system shut down I completely cleaned my entire sump.
Cutting out the old filter sock acrylic was a bitch. Took me all day to cut and then install but she’s looking awesome.
The Red Sea roller filter is made so well.

Whatcha think ?
New skimmer coming on sat. Got the Ultra Reef Typhoon 180.

I’m RE-Booting the entire 10 year old tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
Thank you sir. I only cleaned the sump 1 other time in ten years of it running. Terrible of me.
I think you'll find the jury's still out on wether a spotless sump is a good idea or not. Some think the mulm is beneficial in the food chain. I see nice tanks from both sides. I like a clean sump but I'm too lazy to do it more than once every couple years.

I think you'll find the jury's still out on wether a spotless sump is a good idea or not. Some think the mulm is beneficial in the food chain. I see nice tanks from both sides. I like a clean sump but I'm too lazy to do it more than once every couple years.
Ya, good point about a dirty sump adding to the benefit of the tank health. My problem, I was lazy changing the filter socks and the detris was building and I feel that it added to the phos and nitrates. My hope is that the filter roller and better skimmer eliminate the problem along with a now clean sump.
I had the remove the algae scrubber because it didn’t fit in the sump now so fingers crossed I don’t get tank algae because I know the scrubber worked.

Back