Lots of time and money wasted- HELP!!

PICTURES ARE UP

PICTURES ARE UP

OKAY I PUT THE PICTURES UP..YOU CAN SEE THEM AT MY GALLERY. THEY ARE IN ORDER, BUT YOU HAVE TO GO TO PAGE TWO AND WORK YOUR WAY BACK. THANKS SO MUCH!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12918567#post12918567 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slayer311
let me be more specific, your overflow box has the 2 tubes that come over the edge of the glass which sucks water from the display down to the sump, at the very top of those 2 tubes, or possibly one large tube if its an older model, air bubbles can collect, if your flow is fast enough the air bubbles will be forced out of the system, i have the older style system with a larger tube and air bubbles get stuck at the top often and can break the syphon causing no more water to flow to the sump over time. Just check it from time to time to make sure no bubbles have accumulated
Mine is not an older one, its new and no air is trapped.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12918505#post12918505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asm481
The threads on the outside of your overflow bulkhead are not designed to hold anything. They are just to hold the bulkhead in place. Picture a giant bolt 3-4 inches long and a nut that threads up the bolt. Nuts and pipe are different kinds of threads and are not interchangeable. Clamping around the threads is an incomplete seal and may leak down the road.
That makes sense. We will try to find flex that will go up into the fitting on the out part of the overflow. Is this glued just like the pvc fittings?

Just in case i miss the answer, i don't have that plumbing method in my return. I just have a straight shot to the tank with a ball valve in-line. The water that makes it back to the tank, can go down the overflow. That is what keeps the equilibrium in my system. You turn down the return flow, which only allows a certain amount of water in to the tank that spills in to the overflow.

I skimmed parts of this, so if this is a repeat....

First off, even though your overflow is rated for 1200 GPH, there is no way it will ever be able to handle that much. I would guess it will be able to handle around 1000. There is only one overflow box that in my experience that will actually handle what it is rated for, and that is a LifeReef one.

Your best bet is to have a ball valve AFTER the Mag, just play with turning it down until they are matched.

You can see in the following picture the blue ball valve that is after my external pump is turned down a bit to match my overflow.
(( the black one before the pump is wide open and is only there for when I clean the pump ))

Updatedsump.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12919265#post12919265 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crsswift70
Can you explain your pump return plumbing? What is that pipe coming down back in to the sump?

I can try to explain. That is what my son put on for the excess to bleed water back into the sump.

so.. the overflow goes directly in to your skimmer as well? Then the water is pulled out of the skimmer by the small pump in the sump? Forgive me, but that doesn't look right. I however have an in sump skimmer so i could just be confused. It looks like that would totally restrict your drains flow rate. I'm also very skeptical of the return method of flow control. Did you see that somewhere else?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12919349#post12919349 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
I skimmed parts of this, so if this is a repeat....

First off, even though your overflow is rated for 1200 GPH, there is no way it will ever be able to handle that much. I would guess it will be able to handle around 1000. There is only one overflow box that in my experience that will actually handle what it is rated for, and that is a LifeReef one.

Your best bet is to have a ball valve AFTER the Mag, just play with turning it down until they are matched.

You can see in the following picture the blue ball valve that is after my external pump is turned down a bit to match my overflow.
(( the black one before the pump is wide open and is only there for when I clean the pump ))

No, you didn't repeat...just reinforced ;) So adding a ball valve after the Mag on the return side will not cause the pump to burn out?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12919391#post12919391 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by findingnemo2
No, you didn't repeat...just reinforced ;) So adding a ball valve after the Mag on the return side will not cause the pump to burn out? [/B]

Not at all, the pump in my picture is over 6 years old and has been running that way since day one.

The pump will just see it as addition head pressure.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12919388#post12919388 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crsswift70
so.. the overflow goes directly in to your skimmer as well? Then the water is pulled out of the skimmer by the small pump in the sump? Forgive me, but that doesn't look right. I however have an in sump skimmer so i could just be confused. It looks like that would totally restrict your drains flow rate.

No, the small pump in the first section of my sump feeds the skimmer, the skimmer puts water back into this section. The overflow is not fed directly to the skimmer. It works basically the same as an in sump skimmer, except externally, I have more room in the sump.

I would try removing the skimmer and see if that is what is causing the restriction.

Personally I like having the skimmer in the sump anyways just in case it goes crazy and starts overflowing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12919408#post12919408 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crsswift70
No, it's the inflow to the pump you can't restrict.

:rollface: Starting to breathe a sigh of relief here...
So, my son is confused about this? (Hopefully, wishfully, surely) lol!

once its running you'll have a moment and realize how simple it is and laugh :) just hang in there

I think I just looked at your pictures. Do I see you having the drain from your overflow joining with a tee and continuing with 1 inch PVC? That is your bottle neck. The two 1 inch bulkheads should each be 1 inch (or bigger) all the way to your sump seperately. You can not drain more then 5-600 gph through 1 inch pipe.

Also, if you have a ball valve on the side that goes from the tank to the sump, take it off, should be unrestricted flow.

My apologies, i see how the skimmer is working now. I couldn't tell where the gray pipe was going. I agree that both pipes running separately will give you more flow, i however do have a valve in my drain plumbing as it controls the siphon rate in my Herbie style drain.

my return plumbing
HPIM0758.jpg

Thank you all for your responses! You have all helped me to breathe again! I will try to go with a valve after my Mag on the return, and hopefully all will be perfect! If not, I will try to seperate the overflow drain lines. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks again, my Reef Central friends!

Back