Low Alk - Dead Torch

eric w

Well...my multi head torch has died on me...lost the last head last night....my guess is due to low alk levels that i have been trying to raise the past week...attached are my readings for the past....note i have been running Kent Phosphate Sponge in a bag in the back of my RSM250 as needed for phosphate...my question is what should i be aiming at for alk levels. I was thinking around 9dkh...but was hoping Randy might chime in....tank has been up and going for about 4 months now...thanks

randy.jpg
[/IMG]

I don't think low alk killed your torch.

On the other hand, kent phosphate sponge is not highly recommended since its an aluminum oxide based phosphate remover.

Hi...I actually just got off the phone with Kent and it is ceramic based...so could it be alk levels?

Hi...I actually just got off the phone with Kent and it is ceramic based...so could it be alk levels?

The label on kent phosphate sponge doesn't say it's aluminum oxide, but it does state that it will not increase aluminum concentration in aquarium. The media also looks exactly like other aluminum based phosphate binders. I would t rely on whatever kent told you.

There's quite a few threads about people using phosphate sponge and losing livestock.

However I highly doubt it's your alk. Natural sea water has an alk around 7, and according to your chart, you havnt had much of a swing. A large alk swing would probably kill your torch before an alk of 6 would.

ok..well thanks...should i still be trying to raise my alk then? and if so to what level....i see ranges of 7-11dkh....so not sure where to aim if at all...

ok..well thanks...should i still be trying to raise my alk then? and if so to what level....i see ranges of 7-11dkh....so not sure where to aim if at all...

I personally try to keep my alk consistant with the salt brand I use, so when I do a water change, my number stay consistant with the new water.

Generally raising your alk should be done slowly, so a safe increase would be 1dkh a week.

Have you ever had your phosphate tested on a Hannah meter? If your getting a .25 on an API kit, it is generally higher then that concentration. Even if API doesn't not register phosphate at all, it can still be at unsafe levels. Its much safer to use GFO for phosphate removal, just be sure to rinse it with old tank water or ro/di.

hi...yes the last month of readings are from a hanna checker...I have a reactor that im going to get plumbed in and gfo going here in the next few weeks...i was doing a gallon a day wc which equates to 10% a week..but recently went to 7 gallon a week at once...but my alk keeps dropping so i think i need to keep it up to a level of some sort...

Alkalinity should be safe from 6.5 dKH upwards, so I don't see a problem with those numbers, if they are the daily low. I think that adding some GFO is a reasonable idea.

I wouldn't particularly trust the Kent product. It might or might not be contain aluminum.

Many tanks consume 2-3 dKH per day, so daily dosing often is the best way to go.

The alk looks fine as do the other numbers. Sg is a little low for my taste but 1.024 is acceptable. Euphyllia are easily harmed by fish or shrimp pecking att them or bumps around or stings from other corals with resultant infections incuding the infamous brown jelly protozoan infections which kill them. The parameters look ok . Aluminum is a possible irritant and I wouldn't personally ,trust the Kent product. It might be ok with thorough rinsing before use.

Back