low tech 40b?

shecter

i bought a 40b from petco for a qt setup. after seeing how my captain americas reacted to my new light fixture im having thoughts of setting up a low tech zoa/paly garden. no fish just zoas and a cuc no sand and minimal rock. so i was wondering what i really NEEDED to be sucsessful. i have 2 k425 nanos that i can put in for flow. i also have the light and a hob tetra filter im figuring i can use for carbon? no skimmers or reactors. would this work? or just be more of a PITA than its worth?

i bought a 40b from petco for a qt setup. after seeing how my captain americas reacted to my new light fixture im having thoughts of setting up a low tech zoa/paly garden. no fish just zoas and a cuc no sand and minimal rock. so i was wondering what i really NEEDED to be sucsessful. i have 2 k425 nanos that i can put in for flow. i also have the light and a hob tetra filter im figuring i can use for carbon? no skimmers or reactors. would this work? or just be more of a PITA than its worth?

Most definitely- the dirtier the better with zoas. I had to remove every one of my colonies out of my main tank because my params are geared towards coloring SPS. So I put them in my bar tank and they are exploding with growth!

7.5 Gallon 12x12x12
Fluval 205 running floss and chemi pure elite (swear by the c.p.e.!)
Nano power head for additional flow
Custom corner overflow for fluval supply tube and heater. Helps Skim the water

Honestly I change the filters only once a month and chemi pure every 3 months. KISS- keep it simple stupid!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2209703

Last edited:
I'm also gonna be setting up a zoas tank soon. Not a 40 breeder but I will be using the 20L that is my current sump to keep my zoas. I'm gonna do something similar to you as a setup though, I'm gonna use the tank, a few powerheads, the 4 bulb t5 I have waiting for use, and my hob fuge with built in skimmer. Fairly similar to what you will be doing Tom. I guess we will both be crossing our fingers, lol

My 30g tank runs with two powerheads, a heater, and one white PC light. I do water changes and have recently run into a red-slime problem, but am in the process of taking care of it (my phosphates crept up to 1.0 due to some bad 'live' rock I recently added).

I grow some encrusting montipora which seem to be the only SPS that love dirty water. My LPS and softies flourish.

Can anyone embellish on the whole idea that zoas and palys prefer a "dirtier water"??

I am certainly still an idiot here, and have much to learn. However when I started the red sea program and pushed right towards coloring for sps, my zoos just about about diminished. I was told that the softies have a hard time in a nutrient free system. So I dropped them in my 7.5 invert tank which was up and running for about 9 months without any coral. I keep it on the dirty side as I only clean it once a month. The zoos just about doubled in only a weeks time.

Back