LPS coral ID?

BennyFrank

This coral came on a rock of star polyps I got about a year and a half ago. I never paid much attention to it until it just recently split from two polyps to four. I'm thinking most of the rock was covered in this type of coral, at one time, as the skeletons are visible in many places (e.g. bottom left of photo).

Did a little research to try to get an ID but they all started to look like Greek to me. My pseudo-educated guess is Favia sp. based on pics and descriptions from the web, but it looks similar to any of the following also; favites, leptastrea, acanthastrea, or blastomusa. Any ideas?

unknown_lps.jpg

How big are the polyps and does it share corallite walls (Favites sp.), or are they separate (Favia sp.)? Looks like a Faviidae member to me, so no acan or blasto. It's the second largest stony coral family, and most look so similar, skeletal confirmation is often needed for a positive i.d. I can check the Veron in a few days and try to find it.

thats a tough one ,are the tenicles always exposed ?

Nope, I'd say they are out for ~5hrs/day during the middle of the light cycle. They seem to be exposed a lot more as of lately though.

Looks like a Faviidae member to me

I think you're right jd. The polyps are about 3/8" and if you look at the skeleton in the bottom left, you can see that there is just a single ridge between the corallites. Probably doesn't matter really (except for the satisfaction of ID'ing it correctly) as I'm assuming the care would be the same for either genus.

I can check the Veron in a few days and try to find it.

If you get bored enough, go for it, but I won't knock the sucker out of your hand if you don't :D

Crazy... I didn't know star polyps (Pachyclavularia violacea) had pinnules. Just noticed them in the pic from above. Here is a cropped shot. I'm easily amazed :bigeyes:

clavulariapinnule.jpg

...but I do like to ID stuff if given the chance.

Yeah me too, in fact, now is the time of year that I start geeking out over spiders. Here is a Harvestman (Hadrobunus grandis) from near Burwell, NE. Not a spider actually, but gnarly looking nonetheless.

harvestman.jpg

Yep, need a fresh skeleton sample. Found about 6 species that look almost identical, but likely a Favites or Oulophyllia sp.

Cool, thanks for looking into it. I'm hoping it continues to create new skeletons vs. leaving fresh ones behind.

Back