LTA Question

GottisEgo

So after my episode with my GBTA taking a trip into my Koralia, and getting the tank back to normal, I decided to take a trip to my LFS, to use up my $98 Credit I had. Picked up a beautiful Powder Blue and a Green tip LTA.

My question. I introduced him to my tank after about an hour drip acclimation process, and he has yet to attach himself to anything since introduction yesterday afternoon. His tenticles are either fully or partially inflated, and his mouth is closed or partially open. What is the process with LTA's, as I know BTA's move around everywhere and stick to everything.

Thanks for any advice!

I have had LTAs move around on me. Mine have stayed in one place for a day or two and then moved again. Once they found a spot where the stayed for over a week, they were there forever.

Your LTA sounds like an iteresting color combination for an LTA. Any pics?

Yea but he's not really moving. I moved him from the spot he was in to the other side of the tank because I was afraid my Frogspawn would get stung from the long tenticles.

No pics right now but I will get some up soon. Not really green right now, but at my LFS he had Nice green tips. Pretty cool.

Where is the LTA in your tank? On the sand? On the rock? When I got mine, I dug a small hole in the sand next to the rock to help it get started. It actually started burying its foot after an hour or so. Now it is positioned in the sand against the rocks. I have heard/read that they like to bury their foot on the sand and attach under the rock.

Quickcord

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12226154#post12226154 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Quickcord
Where is the LTA in your tank? On the sand? On the rock? When I got mine, I dug a small hole in the sand next to the rock to help it get started. It actually started burying its foot after an hour or so. Now it is positioned in the sand against the rocks. I have heard/read that they like to bury their foot on the sand and attach under the rock.

Quickcord

He is on his side on the sand. I will try and dig a hole in the sale and sick him in there. We shall see how this goes.

Quickcord has it right, hole in sand, between a couple rocks to protect from flow till it attaches.
Mine has a shallow cave so it can come in/out of light/flow as it wants.
What do you have for light?

061.jpg
[/IMG]

060.jpg
[/IMG]

062.jpg
[/IMG]

Bleached for sure, so just start getting ready to feed regularly twice a week, and make sure to keep tank parameters in check. Wait to feed when the mouth is closed.

BTW: That PBT is a little big for a 55g...just saying...

That's what I figured. I will start feeding once his mouth closes up. Looks like he is removing waste due to it being a brown color.

Yes, the Blue Tang (Correction, it's not a PBT) will be moving over to a 150 when I do the move to our new home. He's about 1 1/2 inch so I think he's ok for now.

It is still early, but keep an eye on that mouth -- a open mouth isn't a good thing, but isn't all that uncommon when they are just in the tank. And do not force feed it.

Mouth is still open. Nothing coming out of it. But also he looks great in terms of being fully inflated. Check my Water at around 10:00am and everything was fine. I was having a reading of 7DKH when it's ussually 8 so that made me scratch my head but still not bad. PH was good, Nitrates where 0, Phosphates the same.

It would help your anemone if you raise the SG to 1.025 or 1.026. I keep my purple LTA in a tank with 1.026. Just raise it with saltwater top offs. Make sure your corals aren't spitting anything at each other. I had a hammer coral and a frogspawn together with my LTA and the corals were fighting. While they were fighting they were causing my LTA to close up durring the day. I put my frogspawn in another tank, did an extra water change. Then right after that, the LTA stopped closing up. How often do you do water changes? Using carbon helps, in fact my LTA gets huge after I put a fresh carbon filter in the tank...Do you use carbon?

Sorry to hijack - but Christina - did you decide on a pair of clowns? My sebae is NOT doing good... long story...

Back