Lucky ol'e me....increase budget

AquaWave523

Yep, I'm going to bump up my lights to $500. I want to be able to keep Anemone, SPS and LPS. I'm going to upgrade from a T5 (four bulbs, original plan) to something better.

Anyone have any lighting recommendations? I'm concern about the heat and eletrical bill being too high, so I know some of you run your lights differently. Any suggestions on a good nice fixture for a 90 gallon (25" deep).

Thanks!
AW523

ok, so i dont have to get a mixture of MH? Great...I'll shoot for the

i saw the Tank of the MOnth had this setup and thought I had to get something like this to keep SPS and Anemone:

http://www.marineandreef.com/Outer_Orbit_Light_USA_48_Current_Outer_Orbit_HQI_p/rcu01042.htm

I might end up getting this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+12772&pcatid=12772

since it's 8 bulbs and its under $500. Just waiting fora few more replies before I make my final decision. :)

If you want to keep sps and nems, do not get that fixture. Get the Nova Extreme Pro. It has individual reflectors, which is a must, and active cooling fans to extend the life of your bulbs.

2 reef optix Mh pendants on an HQI Bluewave 7 ballast(Ushio 14 k bulbs).
I have this over my 90 and the growth is incredible.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15448526#post15448526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stingythingy45
2 reef optix Mh pendants on an HQI Bluewave 7 ballast(Ushio 14 k bulbs).
I have this over my 90 and the growth is incredible.

How much was your setup?

Re: Aquatic Life...

Re: Aquatic Life...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15448556#post15448556 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RB Chagoi
Look at these fixtures, not the best on the market, but big bang for the buck. The T5 + Lunar is $330. The MH + t5+ LED is $799.
T5
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...t_Code=AL-420037&Category_Code=AquaticLife-T5
HID
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...t_Code=AL-420056&Category_Code=AquaticLife-MH

Those look nice, but I'm not sure about the manufacturer...I might go w/ the current nova pro w/ six 54watts bulbs T5s.

Call Jeremy at PA. He will give you the unvarnished truth on the product and manufacturer. I do know the manufacturer's Customer Service is above reproach.

Nevermind, so I want to have an option of MH with my T5's...any good sets to recommend under $500?

If not, I'll stick to the six bulbs T5's...just not sure which one to get yet. Recommendations are welcome, especially those who have success with a reef tank. :)

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15448690#post15448690 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaWave523
Nevermind, so I want to have an option of MH with my T5's...any good sets to recommend under $500?

If not, I'll stick to the six bulbs T5's...just not sure which one to get yet. Recommendations are welcome, especially those who have success with a reef tank. :)

t5s may get your colors to pop more but I prefer to have a MH too....radium:smokin:

hahah, yeah, i might have to retract because i know MH's get too hot. I dont want to invest in a chiller and just have MH to be on for 1 hour for viewing pleasure.

I have a canopy i want to employ or maybe put legs on my lights....so anyone else?

It will be hard to find a MH/T5 combo for less than $500. Trust me, I am in the same boat. Using a canopy, most likely you will need a chiller with MH fixtures. If you put the lights on legs or suspension, you can control the heat issues somewhat with fans that blow across the water. The evaporation effect will keep it cool to a degree. Using MH, you will have to keep them off the water more than with T5s.

You can go back and forth with almost everyone on here about MH v. T5. Using both, as I do, is great, but keeping in the budget you specified will be hard.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15448833#post15448833 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cbravo212
It will be hard to find a MH/T5 combo for less than $500. Trust me, I am in the same boat. Using a canopy, most likely you will need a chiller with MH fixtures. If you put the lights on legs or suspension, you can control the heat issues somewhat with fans that blow across the water. The evaporation effect will keep it cool to a degree. Using MH, you will have to keep them off the water more than with T5s.

You can go back and forth with almost everyone on here about MH v. T5. Using both, as I do, is great, but keeping in the budget you specified will be hard.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

If that's the case, I'll stick to T5's (six bulbs) ...I was thinking 8 bulbs but that seems like an over kill. Anyone have any manufactuer suggestion for T-5s?

just quickly about MH and water temp....

I have a 50g breeder. My lighting is a 400w radium halide with about 75w of t6 suppliment. They are enclosed in a fairly small canopy with only an open back. I live on the west coast and we are having a doosy of a heat wave. It has been 105 or above every day this week. My tank temp never got above 80.7 and I have it set for 79. I have a single computer fan blowing thru the canopy and another one blowing across my ballast inside the stand.

I keep my house at 74 with the a/c tho :)

Well my tank right now with just the regular flurescent lights get my tank up to 81-82...so I can't imagine it with MH. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15448617#post15448617 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaWave523
How much was your setup?

I picked up one reef optix pendant and the bluewave 7 dual, used.
That was $130.(fellow reefer,great deal)
Then got another new pendant $130.
And then bought new bulbs.$65 each

$390 total.
If you keep an eye out for used equipment here and on your local club's website there's some good deals to be found.

I have to laugh sometimes.I don't think there's too many new things in my set up.All bought used from fellow reef club members.

I'm in the same boat is jbird, I have 2 175 mh only 6" above the water in a semi-closed canopy(open back) and one fan blowing in(intake) and one blowing out(exhaust). I have no problem keeping my temp at 80 with out AC set to 78. I think this works because of the exhaust. A lot of people just have fans blowing in, with no way for the heat to escape quickly. They are just 2 fans I got from a local electronic shop, $15 each.

If you can go MH, that is the way to go, nothing beats the shimmer of MH. Totally agree with stringy, check the used equip forum, I would think you can get the set up you want for under $500.

I used to have a 400w radium pendant on an older, smaller tank for only $200 through that forum. Best part is I was able to sell it for the same price 2 years later.

just my .02

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15449640#post15449640 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KillerReef
I'm in the same boat is jbird, I have 2 175 mh only 6" above the water in a semi-closed canopy(open back) and one fan blowing in(intake) and one blowing out(exhaust). I have no problem keeping my temp at 80 with out AC set to 78. I think this works because of the exhaust. A lot of people just have fans blowing in, with no way for the heat to escape quickly. They are just 2 fans I got from a local electronic shop, $15 each.

If you can go MH, that is the way to go, nothing beats the shimmer of MH. Totally agree with stringy, check the used equip forum, I would think you can get the set up you want for under $500.

I used to have a 400w radium pendant on an older, smaller tank for only $200 through that forum. Best part is I was able to sell it for the same price 2 years later.

just my .02

Interesting,I have the same configuration with the fans.
One 4" fan blowing air in and one exhausting air out.
Open back to my canopy.I had my tank temp spike last week to about 83 deg. from a norm of 79 deg.
But,I think my 250 watt heater in the basement sump was set too high.

ouch, the highest I've seen mine hit was 83, but that was when our AC went out for four days. I just turned the fans on 24/7 and kept the lights on their normal schedule. During the summer, I don't even use my heater...

BTW, stingy, sorry about the misspelling of your name in my previous post...

Back