Lugols iodine

mikoz

Hi

LFS strongly recommends supplementing my tank with Lugols iodine. I have very little coral so far: just one small mushroom colony and a leather. It's a 100g setup.

I know the right way to answer this question is to test the water religiously. Test everything, including I levels.

However, I'm sort of not so enamored with testing everything. It s a pain. I know this makes a lot of people angry, for that I'm sorry.

Is there a recommended dosage for iodine for a coral tank that can be given either by observing the corals or just in general (e.g. Dose x drops per gallon every z days)?
Thanks.

Whisperer

There has to be a reason/purpose for supplementing you tank with anything. If you can't get one, then I suggest keep on looking before supplementing. If you happen on one, make sure you can monitor the levels of that supplement, if not, don't do it or use very minimally.

Neptune_Fan

I have only used Lugols as a coral dip. Never heard of having to dose it in the tank to supplement iodine. +1 to regular water changes being able to keep up with demand.

sporto0

I have used Lugol's solution Potassium Iodide for almost 18 years, I typically use 1 drop for 25 gallons per week & after water changes, while I don't test for Idione, I do have great success with most corals with the exception of Gonipora/Alveopora. I obviously can't document that Lugol's is responsible for this, but I can say with certainty there have been no negative results from it's use.

zoafarm

Lugols is much stronger than typical Iodine supplements. Based on what you have in your tank, I would not put it in your tank. + 1 on water changes. My LFS said the same thing to me over a year and a half ago, when I had my small tank. So I dosed Iodine (without testing), and I almost killed everything. So my motto is " If I can't test for it, it doesn't go in my tank". So far this has worked for me.

Happy Reefing

worm5406

Not afriad to admit wrong
Team RC
The one thing I have gotten from here at RC...

If you are not testing for it do not put it in your tank.

The only iodine I put in my tank is from the shrimp I feed my anemones.

ajcanale

If that's all the coral you have I wouldn't do it. Your water changes should keep up.

+1... there is no reason to dose. You have sufficient levels with water changes. Those two softies are not using up that much iodine.