lumenarc reflector/bulb/ballast package

gotbags-10

so i checked out http://www.reefexotics.com/lumenarc_retro.htm and saw that they have packages with everything in it and was wondering if anyone thought it was a good deal. I wanna get two of the 250w with the mini reflectors for my 100 gall im setting up for sps. Also should i get the HQI or the regular mogul bulbs and is it worth it to spring for the reeflux bulbs, only 10 bucks more?

eckrynock

Premium Member
These are nice packages. If I were you, I would get moguls and spring for the reeflux bulbs, can't go wrong with 10k or 12k. I see you are in Indy. I am on the south side. I run 2 400w Reeflux 12k on EVC ballasts with Lumenarc minis. You are more than welcome to come see what it looks like set up. I also have two new 400w Reeflux 10ks if you would like to see a comparison.

TwistedTiger

In Memoriam
I agree with eckrynock, the packages are a good deal, the reeflux bulbs are the better choice and SE gives you more options on bulb selection later if you decide to try something else. I got the 250w coralvue ballast reeflux 10k bulbs and mini reflector from reef exotics and wow are the 10k bright in the luminarcs. I ended up switching to the 12k reeflux and they are bright and just a little blue with that ballast/reflector combo. The 250w 10k's were just too much in the luminarcs on my 20" deep tank. I was bleaching SPS frags on my sand bed even after I raised the pendants 18" from the top of the tank and cut the photo period back to 3 hrs. The 12k's have been absolutely great, plenty of light reaching the bottom and SPS getting color quick.